Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plaqenil good or bad?

Thanks

Default Plaqenil good or bad?

Ive been doing alot of research on the drug Plaqenil which alot of Lupus patients take. After reading many different opinions from many different users of this drug i have noticed that there are only two main answers I will get.

1. Not too many bad side effects for me, it really helped me feel better with fatigue as well.
    2. Terrible side effects! I will never go on this drug again.

Overall its about 50/50 with which answer I see more.

Plaqenil takers leave your opinion on the drug if you can be bothered.

Ps: Plaqenil may be tough for some, but after my experience with Prednisone i highly doubt it would be worse then Prednisone. (Prednisone just happens to be particulary bad for me)
    Last edited by hating_that_pred; 01-24-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks

started taking low dose in Oct..helped hairloss a lot..I now have tremendous indigestion/acid reflux that I did not have before..I stoppped the Plaq and am now on Prevacid for the stomach. I am going to try Plaq. again for a positive answer if it was the plaq causing the stomach problem or just the Lup giving the gastric symptoms.
    Last edited by pandagirl; 01-24-2010 at 06:16 PM.
    Andrea

Thanks

I agree with Andrea about the gastric symptoms, but Prevacid controls it for me, so it's not so bad. I've been taking it since March, 2009. When the doc tried to up the dose, I had a very embarrassing case of the trots while teaching, so I went back to one pill per day, and there I have stayed. In conjunction with the MTX, I think that Plaq is helping me. I used to get skin sores whenever it was hot and humid and/or I was under stress. I haven't had one of those since last spring. The scalp psoriasis has cleared up, and I have lots more energy.
    My joints still ache a lot, but then I also have AVN.
    Gordon, everyone reacts differently to different meds. The low dose works for me, but others take much higher doses. Others, as you have read, can't take it at all. You'll just have to see how it works for you.
    Marla

Thanks

I have been complaining alot lately about my plaquenil becuz I want to try something else becuz I personally believe its whats making me feel more sick than anything else right now. im on 400mg a day right now which Im pretty sure is a low dose of it

Thanks

I started plaq early on in my illness, then had to come off of it because I developed rashes and the doctors weren't sure if it was from the medication or not. I was put back on it a few years later in a effort to get my off the prednisone and it has been my miracle drug. The combo of plaq and methotrexate got me off the steroids for good and I was eventually able to come off the metho altogether too. All I take now is my plaquneil (well and a drug for my kidneys recently) and I am what they like to call "medically controlled". I live a full and active life with little to no pain and the plaquneil is the reason why. Now it doesn't come without side effects like others have said, but sometimes the good outways the bad. Good luck with your choice!

Hugs,
    Kim

Thanks

I have just commenced Plaquenil and i'm finding it fine. Like yourself i can't wait to get off the prednisone, but have to wait for the plaquenil to kick in. I'm hopeful that plaquenil will control my symptoms and be the drug for me. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I take plaquinel for over a year now and it does not bother me and i wish i could get off the prednisone that i have been on for almost 3 years and now am down to 6mgs from higher doses. I am on 20mgs of methotrexate and it is finally starting to work on my joints so maybe he will lower my pred. Bonita I guess these meds affect everyone differently

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have been on Plaquenil for a little over a year, initially it upset my stomach and left me dizzy, but after about 3 months the side effects subsided. I started taking it when nephritis started getting worse and now it is almost completely in remission. Was taking 200mg twice daily and now take only 200mg once a day, hoping the reduced rate continues to work, we'll see.
    Everyday holds the possibility of a Miracle

SLE, Nephritis, Raynaud's, previous ITP
    Plaquenil, baby aspirin, Flinstones vitamins

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ok, I'm needing an answer as to exactly what it's supposed to do. I've been on it for 2 months now. No side effects. And I'm off Prednizone as of last week. Since I was on prevacid prior to adding these meds I can't help there. Though my pain levels are now back to normal.

so if someone wouldn't mind defining plaquenil please and thanks

Nonna.

Living Life to the best of my ability!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm not sure if this is the information you are looking for, but I figured I'd give it a shot. It has links for uses, side effects, precautions, interactions, and overdose. I only scanned the uses page though since I don't have enough time to read it. I hope it helps.
    I use mayoclinic.com when I need to do a bit of research, so this should be more helpful, although I can't be positive.

http://mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR600761

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-6986...Plaquenil+Oral
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much"- Mother Teresa