Thread: How do you balance your life?

Thanks

Default How do you balance your life?

I'm getting stressed out and don't know what to do. The good news is that I seem to be out of the major flare that kicked my butt in the fall. The other good news is that for the first time since I was diagnosed, I have been reconnecting with old friends on facebook and we've been making plans to get together, including a fabulous mini-reunion with our favorite teacher next weekend.

The bad news is that because for three years I've done nothing but go to work when I can, go to church when I can, and collapse on the couch playing online every evening, I have absolutely no idea how to add these extras in my life. When I go out and have fun, something suffers. Either I've not done the church work I am responsible for (I lead the outreach group there and send cards to congregants as well as make phone calls each month and pray with people after the service on Sundays), or I've fallen way behind in grading papers, or the house is a disaster! Or I end up staying up much too late, like 11:00 pm and I have to get up at 5:15am, which means I'm risking a flare by getting run down. My support group said I need to learn to say no, but these are things I don't want to say no to - they are fun and making me feel alive, almost normal again. I don't want to lose that. But I don't want to feel so guilty all the time for neglecting my responsibilities. And this weekend I've agreed to go to a leadership training thing tonight although I know there's no way I can stay until it's over at 9:30, then tomorrow all day is another leadership type thing I agreed to attend. And already I'm thinking of how hopelessly behind I'll be. I can't back out now because I've committed to being there, and I know it will be a good experience. Any suggestions??
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi cheryl
    my names ashley, im 17 years old and have recently hit my one year mark of being diagnosed with SLE. whenever i first was diagnosed, it made me wonder if i was ever going to be able to do the things i loved to do. for example, i cheer and i loveee that! and for a little while, until i got on the right doses of meds, i couldn't do things. but now i manage to do cheerleading, participate in our school musical. get high honor roll and still have a social life outside of school.
    i just know how to balance things, by taking breaks and not trying not to over do. i don't want to run my body down.
    for example, with cheer, if i ever started to get out of breath or something, i would sit on the side for a little, then go back. or for musical, i take breaks to just stop, take a breather, get a drink and cool off before i start again.
    i don't let lupus control what i do with my life. you just have to know when the right times are to stop and take a break so you don't over excert [i dont think thats spelled right haha] yourself.
    hope this helps :]
    --Ashley :]
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm not very good at balancing my life. But one thing that is helpful to me is "FlyLady" You may have heard of her. She has a Book called "Sink Reflections BY, Marla Cilly". http://www.flylady.net She on my fb page also. Her site sends me daily plans. She also on Blogtalkradio I listen to her sometimes. One of my Lupus books recommends her site. She teaches you how to break everything up into Baby Step. Perfect for ppl with Lupus.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky