Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coincident or what?

Thanks

Default Coincident or what?

Hi
    Last 2 months I have about 3 people in friends circle that are diagnosed with lupus. There are more and more lupus cases being diagnosed, I wonder what causing this increase since this suppose to be very rare disease.

Thanks

I say that the rise is related to increasing levels of stress and anxiety. People don't know what to do about their stress, so they internalize the problem.

-James Knochel

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I don't think the Drs. know what causes lupus. It's a mystery.

Thanks

Yep, I guess stress is a factor but there is lot than just stress and doctor work on lot of theories as well like may be abstien BAR virus as such....and list goes on and on..

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Stress can definitely bring on a Lupus flare, but there is no evidence that stress actually causes Lupus. DrinkofWtr is correct, the cause of the disease is unknown at this time.

Rob

Thanks

I would like to believe also, that even though there isn't much understanding by way of "why" it happens in each case... it's prevalence is finally being realized! Just as depression was so unheard of and taboo for so long, once the doctors become more educated about it and are more willing to consider new ideas, it becomes more evident that what we're looking at is probably more widespread than anyone first thought.

I have my own theories as well, that there is a lot of environmental factors that will spark that latent genetic predisposition to things like lupus. Look at all of the synthetic and artificial preservatives we all consume in our food each day... increased pollution, etc... These are factors that weren't as prominent 50+ years ago, so perhaps the judgement of how "rare" it truly is has been skewed for some time.

Edited to add:
    At my workplace alone, we have at least 3 people with fibromyalgia, myself with lupus, a 20 year old with RA, one person with Celiac's... and I'm sure there are more AI issues that others have that I don't even know about! It does seem to be becoming a much more common thing amongst the general population. Perhaps our bodies are revolting against all of the environmental factors I'd mentioned earlier.. Food for thought..
    Last edited by Serenity81; 01-17-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Add a thought.
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
    The courage to change the things I can...
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

Thanks

I agree with Shannon. The Western diet and lifestyle has led to a lot of our health problems. Also, doctors may be getting better at spotting Lupus and other AI disorders that used to remain undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.
    Marla

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity81 View Post
    I have my own theories as well, that there is a lot of environmental factors that will spark that latent genetic predisposition to things like lupus. Look at all of the synthetic and artificial preservatives we all consume in our food each day... increased pollution, etc...
    That's basically my theory too. My mother has SLE, so I believe I was genetically predisposed, and the multitude of hazardous materials I used to work with were the trigger. When I was first diagnosed with SLE, I did a bunch of research via Google and the library to see if there are any common links. I discovered quite a few people who had SLE and worked around two materials I handled on a daily basis. The first being Aluminum Oxide. It's a common abrasive powder used for sandblasting. The other was Depleted Uranium which I handled in both my military, and later on in my civillian career. It really poses no significant health risk from radiation, but it is a highly toxic heavy metal in the same way Lead is. You can take all the proper precautions and protect yourself, but sooner or later you are going to get some small exposures, and over time, possible cumulative damage.

I also found a cluster of people with SLE in Southern Arizona in the border town of Nogales, and in the nearby community of Sierra Vista. I was employed at the Army Intelligence Center at Ft. Huachuca for 3 years. Ft. Huacuca surrounds much of the city of Sierra Vista. It makes one think...

Lots of interesting possibilities, but no proof of anything. Kinda hard to say a certain chemical or compound is responsible when real Dr.'s and researchers still don't know what causes Lupus. Maybe someday.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 01-17-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks

Rob - most definitely! It's funny how we seem to see the subtle links much more clearly than those who actually have the means to look into it. Hopefully, as the LFA has been boasting, the money for research into these theories is increasing.. perhaps we'll have some answers soon... well, we can hope, right? I do, however, think we're probably both pretty spot on. Look at all the different types of cancers that are accelerated by environmental factors.. there are so many unknowns that effect us on a daily basis that we probably don't even consider!

Your military background sounds super interesting! I was a navy brat, born @ Balboa in San Diego... I was 3 months premie, so I suppose you could say the US Navy saved my life! I would've loved to join myself, ideally would have joined the Navy's nursing corps, but alas, I'm legally blind in my left eye (retinal problems due to the oxygen administered at birth).... so they couldn't enlist me. Ironically, in high school, we were made to take the ASVAB... apparently, I did well, can't remember my scores, but they wanted to sign me up and put me on the fast track to officer level, yadda yadda... they wouldn't leave me alone!! Until they realized my issues with my eyes...

Wow, sorta got off topic there.. LOL, sorry!
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
    The courage to change the things I can...
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

Thanks

I agree with Rob on heavy metals toxicity, I worked in Lead environment for few year that's where it got triggered.