Thread: Infected Skin Ulcer

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Infected Skin Ulcer

Not feeling well. I have rashes no energy, leg pains etc. Don't have time to go to the doctor. Plus the last time I went it didn't go well, because when I called about a problem he told me to see my PCP. I called my PCP and they told me to go to my rheumy. So after going back and forth I got upset. I want to find a new rheumy. But not many here to chose from. But I have this sore on my stomach. He called it a ulcer. It is infected. I took antibiotics. But it's no better. Not sure if it's from Lupus. Doctor said he thinks the rash was from Lupus.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Thanks

Becky,

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I am right there along with you regarding the rashes..
    Are there any hospitals near you affiliated with UNC? I know you're a coupe hours away from Chapel Hill, but I would imagine that there would probably be some decent options at the university hospital. It's a bit of a drive for you, but perhaps it would be worth the drive, if you could find a good doctor. I had fabulous luck up here in Michigan going to the UofM hospital in Ann Arbor, lucky for me it's only about a half hour drive.

I hope you get some relief soon, you deserve it.
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
    The courage to change the things I can...
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Serenity81 For This Useful Post:

wrightrs (01-17-2010)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I hate to hear about doctors passing the ball back and forth to one another. The rash is most likely due to your Lupus and, therefore, your rheumy should be the one to see you. If you are unable to find another doctor, you may have to stand up to your rheumy and demand that he see you, that he look at your infected ulcer and that he prescribe treatment.
    I can, in a sense, understand why you PCP told you to see your rheumy, because it does sound like a Lupus issue. What I cannot understand is your rheumy passing you off to your PCP. This is is area of expertise and it is his job to care for you. His failure to do so makes him incompetent!
    For your sake, I hope that you are able to find a competent doctor who will take you seriously, listen to you and treat you appropriately. I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

wrightrs (01-17-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes Chapel Hill is about 4 or 5 hours away. Duke is about the same distance. I use to drive my father to Duke years ago. I've thought of looking into those hospitals. But I keep trying with this doctor. There are other doctors in his practice. But embarrassed about running in to him if I changed to another one there. There is another practice here but not in my network. I will look on the Internet about what's at UNC & Duke. Sometimes Doctors from both of those hospitals speak at the LFA chapter here. My rheumy is the President of the Medical board at the LFA chapter here. But they seem to change every year. I may call LFA to see if they can give me info about the hospitals also.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity81 View Post
    Becky,

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I am right there along with you regarding the rashes..
    Are there any hospitals near you affiliated with UNC? I know you're a coupe hours away from Chapel Hill, but I would imagine that there would probably be some decent options at the university hospital. It's a bit of a drive for you, but perhaps it would be worth the drive, if you could find a good doctor. I had fabulous luck up here in Michigan going to the UofM hospital in Ann Arbor, lucky for me it's only about a half hour drive.

I hope you get some relief soon, you deserve it.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I don't understand My rheumy at all. When I have appointment he's in and out so fast. He doesn't listen at all. I started bringing my husband with me. Since my husbands on layoff right now. The first time My husband came he stayed a little longer and listened. But now it's back to the same even with my husband there. I only called there 3 times last year. Was brushed of every time. I feel like if I have symptoms going on I should be seen. I have appointment with my PCP this week. Maybe he can help me with this skin ulcer it's so infected.

i

Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie View Post
    I hate to hear about doctors passing the ball back and forth to one another. The rash is most likely due to your Lupus and, therefore, your rheumy should be the one to see you. If you are unable to find another doctor, you may have to stand up to your rheumy and demand that he see you, that he look at your infected ulcer and that he prescribe treatment.
    I can, in a sense, understand why you PCP told you to see your rheumy, because it does sound like a Lupus issue. What I cannot understand is your rheumy passing you off to your PCP. This is is area of expertise and it is his job to care for you. His failure to do so makes him incompetent!
    For your sake, I hope that you are able to find a competent doctor who will take you seriously, listen to you and treat you appropriately. I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

Take Care,
    Becky

Thanks

Try honey. A locally-produced honey would probably be best, or 'manuka honey' from New Zealand, if you can find it. Supermarket honey might work too.

search for 'honey ulcer' on your favorite search engine for more info.

-James Knochel

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesKnochel For This Useful Post:

wrightrs (01-17-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks I will look into to this. The antibiotics I took didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesKnochel View Post
    Try honey. A locally-produced honey would probably be best, or 'manuka honey' from New Zealand, if you can find it. Supermarket honey might work too.

search for 'honey ulcer' on your favorite search engine for more info.

-James Knochel

Take Care,
    Becky

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hey Rebecca...I'm hoping and praying you get a better rheumy and that stubborn ulcer goes away. It sounds more like lupus than anything else. Keep us posted, sweetie.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to abbasgirl For This Useful Post:

wrightrs (01-18-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abbasgirl View Post
    Hey Rebecca...I'm hoping and praying you get a better rheumy and that stubborn ulcer goes away. It sounds more like lupus than anything else. Keep us posted, sweetie.
    I think it's from Lupus too. Thanks for your prayers.

Take Care,
    Becky

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Went PCP today for legs swelling, rashes and skin ulcers. Now I have 2 more skin ulcers one on my nose and one beside my eyebrow. I have chills and my skin is weeping. I don't know what to call it other than weeping, because that's what I always heard older people call it. I was prescribed more antibiotic and cream. He told me to double up on my Furosemide. He told referrals to set me up an appointment with My Pulmonary Dr for swelling. The swelling comes from Pulmonary Hypertension Sleep apnea. Referrals called me back with my app. They set me up with the wrong Dr. So I'm still dealing with that. What a nightmare.

Take Care,
    Becky