Thread: Blood in Urine

Thanks

Question Blood in Urine

I got a copy of my pre-op labs from December 23. My WBC's are now in "normal" range...yeah!

I did note that the UA showed blood TRACE-LYSED.

Is this a common occurence with SLE/SjS? Anything to be concerned about?
    Last edited by BonusMom; 01-17-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

"Trace" means there was a trace of blood (ie a really small amount) found. 'Lysed' means that they were not whole red blood cells - they had burst (lysed means burst open).

The trace amounts of blood in your urine could be due to something as simple as an urinary tract infection or could be early indications of kidney dysfuntion (Lupus Nephritis). A urinalysis is the simplest and most commonly used study to test for lupus nephritis. In this test, a urine sample is examined for the presence of protein and blood cells which are not normally found in the urine. The blood cells that may collect in the kidney to form and be excreted in the urine are called casts. Casts are seen when the urine is examined under the microscope.
    The presence of protein in the urine is called proteinuria.
    The presence of red blood cells in the urine is called hematuria
    The presence of white blood cells in the urine is called leukocyturia.
    The presence of any of these in the urine suggest the possibility of lupus nephritis and generally indicates the need for further tests.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you nee further information.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

BonusMom (01-17-2010), chikititalinda (08-17-2012), E42brchick (09-03-2012), theLword (08-17-2012)

Thanks

Thanks for the plain English response, Saysusie! You're so good at explaining things in simple to understand terms and I appreciate your taking the time to respond, as always.
    Last edited by BonusMom; 01-19-2010 at 08:01 PM.

Thanks

When I was having kidney issues last year, and in any urinalysis thats been abnormal, I always showed blood in urine in addition to protein. There was never one without the other for me. I was sent to urologist first (umm..why?) and then to nephrologist. By the time all of that was done, my urine went back to normal...lol. Almost always the case with me, but VERY grateful it didnt progress. But I have to say, the kicker about kidney issues with lupus is that there are almost NO symptoms. Thats why the doctors should always run regular urine tests on us. Hope this helps, and hope it is nothing serious
    Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laurid8967 For This Useful Post:

BonusMom (01-19-2010), E42brchick (09-03-2012)

Thanks

Thanks for the info, Lauri. I was assuming (and you know the havoc that can cause) that if there is blood yet no protein detected, it wasn't anything to be concerned with. I'll make sure my rheumy gets a copy of the lab results so she can monitor it, but certainly won't stress about it.
    Last edited by BonusMom; 01-19-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Thanks

Sound like a good attitude to me!! I try very hard to "keep it in the day" or sometimes said "Be where your feet are". But, I said TRY ...lol - not always easy..but when I do stick to it, life is so much simpler and, thus for us lupies, healthier!!
    Good stuff :
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Blog Entries
    Thanks

In 1996, the mayo clinic detected blood in my urine, to this day the tests continue to show the blood, but so far there has been no protein in the urine. So, after many years, we are still watching my urine counts...so, sit back, and don't worry too much...hopefully it will not get any worse.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by laurid8967 View Post
    When I was having kidney issues last year, and in any urinalysis thats been abnormal, I always showed blood in urine in addition to protein. There was never one without the other for me. I was sent to urologist first (umm..why?) and then to nephrologist. By the time all of that was done, my urine went back to normal...lol. Almost always the case with me, but VERY grateful it didnt progress. But I have to say, the kicker about kidney issues with lupus is that there are almost NO symptoms. Thats why the doctors should always run regular urine tests on us. Hope this helps, and hope it is nothing serious
    Lauri
    Hello Lauri,

Just this year I was diagnosed with recurrent microhematuria and protein in my urine (sometimes negative trace and the highest being +2). What did you do to bring back your urine to normal? All of my test are normal like CT scan, ultrasound, blood test, Urine culture are normal. Aside from blood in urine I don't have any other sysmptoms of lupus.

Thanks,
    Marj

Thanks

Hi Marj,

I'm actually having the same exact issue. Well, same execpt I only had trace protein in my urine once. But I've had 3 Urine Analysis within the past month and all are positive for blood. I've had both an ultrasound and yesterday had a CT Scan, both of which came back normal. I went to see a urologist on Monday and the next step is to have a Cystoscopy (which I really don't want to have!).

I'm sorry that you are going through something similar and I will try and keep you updated with any information that I gain.
    Best wishes,

M

Lupus, Secondary Raynaud's Phenomenon, Pernio (Chilblains)
    Plaquenil, Amlodipine