Thread: Bruising/Bleeding Gums & Lupus..?

Thanks

Default Bruising/Bleeding Gums & Lupus..?

So for a few weeks I have noticed bruises on my legs,mostly thighsthat appear as like dime size bruises mainly in groups. I didnt think anything of it till after I gotmy showerthis morning & saw multiple groups plus other sporadically placed ones. They r all purplish in color. Sometimes I alsoget tiny pinpoint purplish/red dots on my thighs but its usually one or two & they go away. As for the bleeding, I have been having badly bleeding gums when I brush my teeth for about a week. It turns my toothbrush & paste orange & also has lots of red streaks in it. I got bloodwork done Jan 7th & am waiting 4 results but I didnt have symptoms quite this bad then. Anyone had these probs w/theirlupus & what could it be from?
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Thanks

me too -
    my dr said plaquinel is something of a blood thinner and can cause us to bruise easiley.
    much love to all my lupie friends -

Thanks

I bruised easily even prior to the med. I also tend to run low platelets which can do this as well. I like to think of myself as a tender peach..hahahah. Have to make myself laugh...bad/stressful week!
    Andrea

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lupus patients have specific dental problems because of the disease process and the medications needed to control lupus symptoms. The most common periodontal disorders found with Lupus are gingivitis (inflammation of the gingiva or gums), sensitive gums, and periodontitis (inflammation affecting the bone under the gingiva).

1. Gingivitis is Bleeding gums: Gingiva bleeds on eating or brushing teeth, or bleeds without any obvious cause.

2. Periodontitis is Swollen gums: Enlarged gingiva is not bound tightly around each tooth. Periodontitis, a form of dental disease, is marked by bone loss and will eventually lead to loosening or loss of teeth.

3. Red Gums: Gingiva is red in color. Dark colored gingiva due to naturally occurring melanin (the substance which colors the gums) is not an indication of inflammation.

4. Sensitive gums: Gingiva that is painful to brushing. Untreated gingivitis can progress into the tissues under the gingiva and cause the bone that supports the teeth to become weakened and resorb.

Everyone with lupus should check the inside of their mouths regularly for any red or irritated areas. If such areas are noticed, these should be brought to the attention of your doctor and/or your dentist. Approximately 25% of lupus patients have these kinds of oral problems, which are usually accompanied by a skin irritation or facial rash. Oral problems in lupus are also found on the lips and on the tissue inside the cheeks (Oral Ulcers).

I hope I've been somewhat helpful!
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Saysusie should be a doctor...I have all those things. I went to a paid study at Tufts University (yes, I am so blessed to have the best in medicine right around the corner). The study was to teach interns, etc and I went because it was for $100. Anyway, the proffesor of dentistry looked in my mouth and said "Wow, which auto immune disease do you have? Lupus, right?" Yup. He could tell just by looking in my mouth complete with oral ulcers, swollen gums, and VERY new periodontal issues. I have always had, if I dont say so myself, really healthy and nice looking teeth. Over the past 2 or so years, my dental health has declined even tho I take really good care of my teeth. This stuff REALLY bothers me about this disease. Its bad enough we feel like junk, but to affect how we look(insert Prednisone here) is just TOO cruel. I think Ill wear a T-shirt that says "I used to be pretty, but then I got Lupus". Whadda ya think? lol
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Thanks

Unhappy Agree 100%

Omgosh I totally agree with you haha. They are talking about putting me on prednisone as well(see my prednisone post). Honestly I want to be on it because nothing is working but im scared of side effects too. Ehh we cant win can we? :/ Good luck and *hugs* -Lupie Britt
    so i edited my post bcuz after posting all these things i was at school i ended up having a seizure! the er sent me home but my rheumy is now requesting i get an mri & spinal tap done. i havealot of the same symptoms from the cns post u replied to & i also take neurontin....im thinking i will prob def need the prednisone now bcuz i think the seizure(i had 2 at 15 before my lupus symptoms really started showing up)is from cns lupus just like the 2 previously...i have not been diagnosed with cns involvement but im sure well have answers after these tests. ehh well i will check in later...
    Last edited by Mommyof1; 01-19-2010 at 04:51 PM.
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Thanks

Hey - my cousin designs T-shirts....Ill have to speak to him about getting us some!! Lol..Dont fret about the prednisone. Maybe youll only have to be on it for a little while, and therefore wont suffer the severe side effects. Sometmes a taper is just enough to get a flare under control. Good luck and hang in there
    Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7