Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for my warm weather friends

Thanks

Default Question for my warm weather friends

Do you feel your symptoms are more under control and your flares are less because of the warmer climate you live in? I don't mean when you are in the sun all the time just the fact that it's 70-90's instead of 1-30 degrees . I have job opportunities all over the country and I am thinking of moving west. I hate the New England winters...can't take them anymore and since my diagnosis I have more problems in the winter months than I do in the summer months. I just got back from a 1 week vacation in PR and the weather there rejuvenated me and I didn't flare up. Since I got back Saturday I've had a minor flare up of the fatigue Just curious if anyone who has lived in both climates has any experience with minor relief of flares in warmer climate.

Thanks guys Take care
    Spanglishqueen AKA Brenda or "B"

Thanks

It depends on the person, but for some of us, it's much worse. After all, lupus tends to cause chronic inflammation, and heat exacerbates inflammation, so warm weather actually makes lupus symptoms worse (just like taking a hot bath can make you feel icky). I've actually felt better since we've gotten some colder weather.

Thanks

Actually, I've just found out that I feel better in cold weather. I've lived in South Texas and now California for the last 18 years. I was just visiting Arkansas for the last two weeks, and I felt great! We had snow one night while I was there, and the temp got down to 9 F once. I slept very, very well every night while I was there. Now I've been back in California for two nights, and last night, it was back to the usual. I woke up in the middle of the night in pain, and felt my knee stiffened up.
    I grew up in St. Louis, so I think that I really belong back in a colder climate. Unfortunately, we will have to return to South Texas in 2012, so I won't get to move back home for a while.
    Marla

Thanks

I live in Florida (newly diagnosed) and for me...the heat makes its much worse. I've been told to wear at least a 30SPF and a hat with at least a 3" brim around the whole thing. I was also advised to cover up. Lightweight longsleeve shirts...etc... For me if I don't I know it will cause problems. I love the sun/heat but now its clear its not good for me. Thats a big issue for me (golfing/fishing). St Petersburg, FL has more sunny days than anyplace. Its a crazy statistic someone came up with. Its like 345 days a year its sunny. Trying to keep out of the sun here is like trying not to order dessert if that makes any sense. Its hard to do. Know any good caves for sale?

Thanks

I have lived in Dallas TX for 20 years and felt miserable in the heat, because of that we have moved to upstate NY four years ago and I feel better.
    In Dallas I could never do any outdoor activeties, I would sit at home all the time. Here in NY we can take walks by Lake Ontario.
    We go to Niagara Falls every year.
    I think a warm climate would be ok, but a hot climate like Texas or Florida is worse than the cold.

Debbie

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Brenda,

I lived in Arizona for many years, and I found the heat to be unbearable when I started having symptoms that I would later find out were from SLE, and the heat definitely affected me in a negative way. Before SLE I was acclimated to the heat and was able to tolerate high temps well. I have MS as well as SLE, and one effect of MS is an intolerance of heat due to the bodies inability to regulate internal temperature well. However, I was diagnosed with MS only about 1.5 years ago, and I did not have MS while in AZ, only SLE. When I left AZ and moved to my new home in Maine, I found the cool climate to be beneficial, and the intensity and frequency of my flares were reduced almost immediately. The summer temps here rarely go above 75 degrees, and in the winter close to the ocean, the temps are usually in the 40's, unlike the inland parts of the state which are frequently subzero. It doesn't get too hot, or too cold, and for me, this really helps.

Rob

Thanks

Hey Tim,
    Has anyone ever told you that you look like Bill Murray in your picture?
    I lived in San Antonio, Texas - another city with more than it's share of sunny days. I can remember years when the temp reached 100 F in February! I hate the heat, so I spent most of the summer indoors. Luckily, my kids (and lately my grandson) had swim team practice early in the morning. It was a great time for me to sit in the shade by the pool, reading.
    We now live on the central coast of California. Like Rob, I'm enjoying the consistently moderate temperatures. However, I'm wondering if the humidity has anything to do with my joint pain. I sure felt better in the dry winter air at my daughter's house in Arkansas.
    Marla

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I live in SoCal in, what is known as, the High Desert. The temperatures here get well into the three digits in the summer. I find that I suffer so much more in the heat and sun. It is unbearable at times and I have to spend days and days indoors just to avoid it.
    We also have very cold winters here and, while I suffer from the cold, I prefer it to the way that the hot summers almost destroy me. So, it's like a catch 22

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I think that the warmer climate has helped my lupus. The thing is though that I have arthritis in my neck and my left knee and the warmer it is, the better my arthritis feels. I believe the arthritis might be connected to the lupus somehow.

Thanks

WOW! I guess it does depend on the person as most of you feel better in the cold. I just know I do more during the summer even tho the sun makes me icky I'm not as fatigued. Interesting. Thanks all and mya you enjoy the season in which you feel the best!!!
    Spanglishqueen AKA Brenda or "B"