Thread: new and scared

Thanks

Default new and scared

I am 27 and I was diagnosed with SLE just 3 months ago, although i have had problems for over 10yrs it wasnt until both my big toes went numb that they worked it out. Since then the numbness has spread and is now down the side of my right foot causing alot of discomfort, ive also started getting pins and needles up my legs and cant sleep from the tension in my legs at night....
    I get random severe chest pains that hits me suddenly and last for hours. I am on no medications other than panadeine forte for the chest pains and migraines though it never helped. i get confused easily and have trouble focusing on one thing I am irratic to talk to because of this...
    there is so much more i could say but im finding it hard to put it all in words. Basically I am scared and i fear that ill be a burden on my loved ones, but i dont want to go through it alone.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I know that this can be so scary and frustrating. Like you, most of us have come to the conclusion that we suffered from symptoms of Lupus for many years before our doctors diagnosed us. So you are most certainly not alone there. All of your symptoms do sound like they could be the result of Lupus, but there could also be some overlapping issues going on also. Almost all of us suffer from Lupus as well as from one or more over-lapping illnesses.
    Have you been diagnosed with Lupus or are the doctors still trying to determine if you do, indeed, have the disease? Usually, the front-line treatment for Lupus is Plaquenil, Prednisone, and NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). The drugs that you mentioned did not sound like Lupus treatments. If you have, indeed, been diagnosed with Lupus, perhaps you can speak to your doctor about starting you on treatment specifically for the disease.
    The Plaquenil will often help the achy joints, any skin manifestations, the fatigue, and sometimes the numbness and tingling. The Prednisone (a cortico-steroid [nothing like anabolic steroids]), helps to supress the over-active immune system (your body attacking itself with anti-bodies), decrease inflammation caused by the over-active immune system such as: swelling,warmth,tenderness, and pain. Also, if any of your internal organs have been damaged by Lupus, Prednisone is the drug most used to stop and/or reverse this damage. NSAIDs are used to also help with the pain and inflammation.
    Remember, the cause of Lupus is not known and, therefore, there is no cure. The purpose of treatment is to reduce/prevent damage to tissues and organs and to prevent flare-ups (periods when symptoms are worsened) of the disease. As such, each of us may have a different treatment regimine depending upon our individual symptoms.
    I wish you the very best and please know that we are here for you whenever you need us. You are not alone!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!