Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scary sudden allergic reaction???

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Unhappy scary sudden allergic reaction???

had a scary but interesting day! I was sitting here at my computer and walked out to the livingroom which is like just a few feet, and my body instantly swelled up like a balloon. I obviously was freaked out, my hubby who used to be an EMT for years was all calm and collective and said, Honey I think I need to take you... to the ER now. I am kind of panicing as my throat was starting to close on me. I had pretty bad adema in my legs, they felt heavy. My face blew up like a balloon, I had three chins.. I was freaked out. Jim took me to ER adn they admitted me right away started IV Benadryl and Solumedrol. My throat started to relax and the panic was over. Thing is I hadn't eaten or drank anything for several hours prior to this. just water. i am still pretty swollen in the face, stomach and legs, but I am hoping there we be some noticeable swelling decrease by tomorrow. That was really scary!!! The worst of it is I have no idea what caused it. The Dr said I will probably never know either. After we got home my hubby called my Rheumy and my primary and let them know what was going on. Also my primary to find a different prophylatic for my migraines. he put me on nortriptyline. I sure hope this one works!!! keeping figers crossed!! I will update toorrow and let u all know how the swelling is.
    Dx. SLE June 2009

♪ Jen ♪

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Glad to hear that you cmae through this okay and there was someone who was knowedgable about what was going on. That can be scary i know 2 of my kids had anaphlatic schock and i would not wish that on anyone. Take care bonita

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Wow im glad you got help quick and i hope you feel a little better now.Scary that you dont know what started it off.I experienced it with meds twice, my legs and arms and 17 chins appeared But when the throat starts to close its panic stations.So glad you are ok and got the help.
    Love
    Amanda.xxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Jeez - I am so glad to hear you had someone who reacted with calm cool experience with you. I probably would have freaked out too. Hope you are feeling better now.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Oh, how scary. I am glad your husband was there to take care of you.
    Hope you'll find out what caused it.
    Take care of yourself.

Debbie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank you all for your replies! i am better today the swelling is still taking a while to go down. It is much better than yesterday though. The adema in my legs seems to be gone. I sure would like to know what the heck caused all that. Anyway I am doing ok. I was really freaked out at the time beleive me!
    Dx. SLE June 2009

♪ Jen ♪

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Glad you are getting better.Was you eating something or changed a moisturiser or dyed your hair lately? xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

SC...has your doctor ever found you to have a c1q deficiency? I'm wondering if you are experiencing symptoms of hereditary angioedema.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

At this link, http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/a...ema-000011.htm , it says this...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes the cause is unknown. An angioedema reaction (AAE in particular) may be caused by allergies to foods, dyes, or pollen, or certain medications. Foods that commonly cause allergies include shellfish, dairy, and nuts. Drugs that often spark allergic reactions include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen), blood pressure medications, aspirin, and antibiotics. Conditions such as leukemia, Hodgkin's disease, and connective tissue disorders (such as lupus) may also trigger angioedema.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand all the causes very well, but from what I've been trying to learn about this, lupus does something to the system causing a deficiency of C1q, which causes the edema. It's rare but it does occur because of different reasons, however one of the culprits that can also cause it is lupus. Here's a link to an article with more information...http://www.bcm.edu/oto/grand/52694.html I've never had the swelling but experience hives and a C1q deficiency was found in my blood...the rheumy at the time thought HAE was causing all of my symptoms although she couldn't explain much to me. She admitted she knew very little about it because it is a rare condition. I got in touch with HAE.org and learned more about it. I hope you never experience that again, SC...I'm praying for you. (((((Hugs))))

Thanks

im glad you are getting better, but i never knew that someone could swell up so fast from allergies, learning newer things everyday lol