Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lupus dignosis and having kids

Thanks

Default lupus dignosis and having kids

would you get pregnant or for a male, father a child knowing that he has lupus and been on or are taking these hardcore medicines such as immune-suppressants and others things which could be bad for newborn? and knowing that this disease can be passed on genetically to next generation?
    Comments please!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Well, if I were married and wanted children, I wouldn't let Lupus stop me. The popular theory is that Lupus is partially genetic, and I agree with that theory, as my mother has SLE. However, that has not been proven beyond a doubt, and if it is true, that's still no guarantee your child is going to have Lupus at some point. As a male, no, Lupus would not stop me.

Rob

Thanks

thanks, other issue would be the medicines like cellcept and others of that family. Doctor do no advice to have kids while you are on it and you can not get off them. I guess it is the risk one has to take with high probability.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My father didn't know he had lupus but he fathered my brother and myself. I am glad he didn't know he had lupus when we were created. He may not of had kids if he had known he had it then. I might not of ever been born and I am glad I was born, even though I have lupus.

Thanks

i agree with drinkofwater my mother has lupus and i have it but i am glad she had me just talk to your doctor . hugs kiml

Thanks

Well, I intend to have children at some point.. once I'm done with nursing school and we get my lupus under control. There are drug therapy options that aren't as harsh as chemo drugs. I've talked to my OB/Gyn and she seems ok with keeping me on the Plaquenil when the time comes.. it's best to keep flares under control while pregnant and the benefits of keeping flares to a minimum far outweigh the risks of the medication.

I think you just have to be educated, have a good team of doctors and consider all of the options before making these choices.

And the husband and I have discussed the option of adoption if we decide it's not the best option for me to get pregnant.

I wouldn't totally throw out the idea of having my own children though, just based on my illness.
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
    The courage to change the things I can...
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

Thanks

I guess I'm one of minority here. I chose not to have children and I am actually looking into the option of having my tubes tied at the age of 34. I was married and did not want children with my now ex husband. I am happily in a relationship with a man who like myself does not want children. It's not a easy decision to make, you have to decide for yourself how you feel about it. I helped raise my little brother who is twelve years younger than myself and have a almost 16 year old nephew I had a huge hand in raising, along with two other younger nephews. I was also a nanny for quite a few years, so I have done diaper duty among others big time. I feel like I have raised my kids in a way and I enjoy the "freedom" in my life. I also decided not to chance speading this disease on, I have seen too much pain myself and from others who lose children/grandchildren to this illness. Many didn't know they were sick until after they had children, so knowing what I do I chose not to have any. It's not a easy thing to decide on but the choice is yours ultimately in the end.

Thanks

hi Kducks
    I agree with you. I have 12 year old and I feel so bad sometimes from Lupus, I cannot even go to teacher meetings and not to mention playing and taking him to places is out of the question.

Thanks

I think if we knew what would be in the future of children before they were born, no children would be brought into this world.

Life without woes or risks is a life not lived.

I spoke with a woman, who knew two women both with Lupus who said they never felt better than while being pregnant. I went, "Really?" So, who is to say, statistics? You just may not be apart of that statistic.

Don't feel guilty for having Lupus, missing plays, games and etc. There are others ways to interact, to make children feel acknowledge and loved. Be creative instead of stressing over guilt.

Be well.
    Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi, all I can add is that both my kids are in their thirties and are very healthy. No sign of anything wrong at all. You can't stop living and hoping just because you have Lupus.

Nonna

Live Life to the best and the fullest. It's all you have.