Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is "Crippling Arthritis"?

Thanks

Question What is "Crippling Arthritis"?

What is "Crippling Arthritis"? I can not find anything on the web. Only thing is split, even with me adding plus between the two words. Trying to find answer of what that is since Mom said it ran in the family.

See, I was at my Aunt's visiting for a few days with hubby and kids. I got up to make coffee, limping as always. It always goes away soon after waking and walking around a bit. Comes back when sitting for more than 10 minutes too. My Mom and Aunt said I walked like my Uncle does, from the time he was around 30 or so. Said their brother has been that way for so long, and it only got worse. I have asked of medical history before for docs, but don't think she ever mentioned that one.

I have a Rheumy appointment in 2 weeks, would like to know what it is before asking him about it. If anyone could tell me where to find info, or give me info I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, CV

Thanks

I am not familiar with a medical term of Crippling Arthritis, but it sounds like your family may have been suggesting that your Uncle had arthritis that was progressively crippling him? I wish I could had some insight for you. Let us know what your rheumy says when you see him.

Thanks

Thanks for at least replying.

My Mom said its what docs called it when he went to find what was wrong, and has called it since. He doesn't go anymore and his memory is going, so can't ask him.

CV
    Cheryl

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Crippling arthritis is generally known as Rheumatoid Arthritis and this is a crippling & degenerative disease. There are more than one hundred different types of arthritis. Two of the most common types are osteoarthritis, caused by the wear and tear exerted on the joints through a lifetime and rheumatoid arthritis, caused by an autoimmune response in the body.

Osteoarthritis is the arthritis associated with getting older. This is the version of arthritis that most people think of when talking about arthritis. In the case of rheumatoid arthritis, the body is tricked into acting as though there were an infection in the joint. As a result there is swelling, inflammation and pain in that joint as the body endeavors to fight the phantom infection.

Because rheumatoid arthritis involves significant inflammation, it can often give you symptoms such as fever, weight loss and general malaise, especially at the beginning of the illness. The small joints are usually the most affected, such as the middle joints of the fingers, the wrists, the jaw joint, the toes and ankles. In rheumatoid arthritis, the joints are usually very inflamed red, hot, swollen, and painful. Stiffness is usually worst in the morning, so many people will talk about morning stiffness. With time, rheumatoid arthritis can cause significant crippling and deformity of the joints.

Rheumatoid arthritis is a serious chronic disease that can cause crippling and reduce life span. Most patients with rheumatoid arthritis will be treated initially with anti-inflammatory drugs. These drugs reduce pain and swelling, reduce the duration of morning stiffness, and generally reduce the symptoms. The most recent type of anti-inflammatory medications are called COX-2 inhibitors.

Because anti-inflammatory drugs only treat the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis (they do not prevent the crippling that occurs over time), emphasis is now placed on what are called disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs). These medications can actually reduce the chance of crippling deformities and reduce the rate of other complications.

I hope that I've answered your question. Please let me know if you need any further information. You and your mother are in my thoughts and I wish her the very best while dealing with this disease.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

thanks Saysusie, makes since. I have been tested many times for RA and all negative results thankfully. Rheumy thanks may be PA, psoratic arthritis. I have read that PA is considered cousin to RA. After reading your info, I am more confident the new Rheumy is on a reasonable track for some answers. I can handle lots of things, but worry when it comes to my feet and hands. 3 kids, hubby, 5 pets, being a house wife and running a home day-care can run the healthiest person ragid. I am finding it harder each year, hoping to find relief soon. hopefully next med will be the one.

I feel for all with the pains we have, no matter what the cause. hoping we all get relief soon.........CV
    Cheryl

Thanks

Hi Cheryl,
    I heard the same thing from the older folks in my mother's family. They just called it "the family curse" of arthritis. My mother and aunt had many of the same symptoms that I have now. My mother didn't test positive for RA until her knee got to the point of needing replacement - then the docs admitted that it was RA. I was dx'd with Mixed Connective tissue disease. I tested only mildly positive to RA, Lupus, Psoriasis and Sjogren's. My rheumy decided that put all together, it was reason enough to treat. I'm taking Plaquenil and Methotrexate, and it seems to be helping a bit.
    BTW - your life sounds like mine about 25 years ago. I also ran a daycare in my home at that time. I wound up with hubby, 5 kids and such a varying number of pets that it would be hard to count. I'm glad that the kids are now all adults, and we're down to just 2 cats!
    Good luck with getting a good dx and something to help with the pain.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I do hope its not RA or PA, but will deal if it is. Just trying to figure out what it may be and the best meds for it. I do not like meds, too many side effects. I figured more I learn, less variety of meds to chose from. Find something that helps what I have. Was on mtx, but stopped. Was working great for a while, then cold weather hit and not so well. Also each month that went by I was feeling more sick from it. To the point of wanting to throw up all the time and could not function. Will not do the shot, so opted to stop. Pain is back, but I can eat again and not so miserable. Hoping finding some answers will find the right med.

Thanks again Marla.........CV
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My grandmother had crippling arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. Her knee joints were swollen and deformed and she suffered with lots of pain. As I recall, her hands were deformed and inflamed also. She was disabled to the point where she could not work amymore when she was in her early 40's. Periodically her Dr. would give her steroid shots to help decrease the inflammation. Apparently when the inflammation was decreased the intensity of the pain was lessened. The only problem was that the steroid shots had lots of side effects, so the Dr. was unable to give her the shot very often. Consequently, she was almost always in pain. She lived into her 70's. The rheumatoid arthritis was not life threatening, but she suffered with it for over 30 years. They don't know why she had it, but I think there was a genetic propensity for it in her genes from what I understand, speaking as a layman.

Thanks

my my, your poor grandmother. thanks for sharing, that phrase crippling arthritis defenitely just seems to be an old term and nothing new.

CV
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes I believe it is an old term that has been around a long, long time.