Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climate?

Thanks

Default Climate?

Hey All,

I live in L.A. - and due to the rash and the ever-present sunshine I was thinking of moving elsewhere. Are there any places where a person with lupus might feel better? Or are particular places to avoid?

Right now I'm seriously considering Portland, OR. Is that smart or stupid?

Thanks

I live in Iowa and find that the humidity and heat in the summer puts me in a summerlong flare. All the moisture in the air also aggrevates my symptoms.

Years ago I used to live in Colorado and I go back for a visit at least once a year. I find the cool dry air gives me some relief from symptoms. Once in a while my husband and I talk about moving there, but I'm not sure I could handle the stress of a move. I'll be interested what others have to say about this topic.

Thanks

Really? Where in Colorado did you live?? I've lived here my whole life! Why did you move to Iowa? What do you think it is about Colorado that alieviates some of your symptoms? This is a very interesting topic! I will also be very interested to see how other people respond!
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Default Climate

I live in the LA area too. Actually just north of Burbank in a town called Sunland. I think it's Greek for "Land 2 Feet from the Sun".

I just started noticing recently that the sun bothers me. I don't get rashes but I can feel something internal going on when I'm in the sun that ain't cool. As far as moving, I love LA, however, I'm been thinkikng more about maybe moving closer to the coast like Ventura. It's a lot cooler there and more ozone. I don't have anything to back that up other than that I think my body would like the coast weather better. I think that maybe another option would be the San Francisco area as it tends to stay cooler up there too.

As far as going back east, I've lived in Iowa too. I love Iowa but the weather in LA is way better.

Andyman

Thanks

Solesinger, I moved out to Colorado after I graduated from high school and had a four year break before I started college. I lived in both Breckenridge and Telluride (before al the famous people lived there and it was still a hippie town). I basically worked so I could ski and hike, play music, and enjoy the mountains. I grew up in Iowa and most of my family is here, so somehow I ended up closer to home.

I think it's the cool dry air in Colorado that helps me. My symptoms don't go away, but I do get some relief. I also wonder if it's some of my excitement for being back in the mountains that also helps me and puts my pain and fatigue at a bearable level. In Iowa it doesn't matter what the tempurature is, the air is always full of humidity.

Thanks

Colorado, huh? My sister lived there for years, and I drove through once or twice. I love mountains and it's gorgeous - but I don't think I want to go that far East. I really do love the edge of the ocean. I think Vancouver would be too cold, and my ex-husband and I actually got divorced over my refusal to move to Seattle, so it would be too ironic to move there now. San Francisco is beautiful, but so hilly!

Portland's still in the lead so far...

Thanks

I'm a bit more cynical about the weather. Since there are rheumatologists EVERYWHERE, and they seem to stay in business, I fugure I'll just live where I want. Well, with some limitations!

I do however, find that the sun is a problem, so the southwest and southern CA would be out. I agree - I don't get a rash, but I can feel my skin crawl if I'm exposed to sun for long, and feel like #@%@ for days after an outing without one of my hats. Even a quick 5 minutes somewhere, I've got to cover up.

Humidity and heat are killers. Illinois has humidity almost year round. Summers are hot. I have AC in my car and home, and praise St. Carrier, the inventor of AC, each day. The electric bills are worth it! Winters don't bother me as much - layering is easy! Were I to leave here, I'd probalby move north.

Minnesota, Canada. Colorado or Montana would be nice as well...maybe I'll join you i Colorado, Solesinger!

Thanks

This got me to thinking. I read recently that ozone levels are higher in the mountains and at the beach. Higher ozone levels would increase oxygen into our systems (that's why most people feel refreshed when going to the mountains or the beach). So, those areas might tend to be more attractive to us folks with lupus. Just a thought.

Andyman

Thanks

I thought because of the elevation there was less oxygen in the mountains, which was why people got light headed so easily up there?
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Default Climate

Yes, I guess that's true too. The ozone thing is just something I read recently. I do know that green plants do put out a lot of oxygen as well. I know for myself that being up around a lot of trees or by the ocean helps me breathe better. I imagine that there's a point elevation wise where other changes take place.

Andyman