Thread: kidney and methotrexate

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default kidney and methotrexate

hi everyone,

i have just learned something new about our little beastly disease, so i wanted to share with you all.

my drs. have been watching my kidney function very closely. I don't have lupus nephritis because there is no protein leaking. However, my kidney function has been decreasing for over a year now. It has been "borderline" for several months.

at my last nephrologist appt., he said he wanted to talk to my rheumy about decreasing my mtx dosage. I did not really understand the relationship, so i mentioned it to my rheumy. She had not heard from him, so i told her i did not want to decrease the dosage unless absolutely necessary.

her nurse called me today, and said i have to cut my dosage in half. When the kidneys are not properly functioning, then the mtx does not get properly dispersed through the blood system. Therefore, my body might be retaining the drug instead of processing all of it. So, i have to cut back......

i am not happy about this, but i will try the lower dosage for a while. I see both drs, in february, so i will discuss with them then.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Smile

hi phyllis yes my rheumi and my gp take regular tests of my kidneys and my liver he said mexotrexate can affect both of those organs so i get tested every two weeks my mother is also mtx and she is having problems with her kidneys please take care of yourself i hope this does not make you worse i wish you a very merry merry christmas my dear friend for you and your whole family love and hugs kim l

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh no.... my precious sweet friend! That just sucks! If I could, I'd pack a bag and travel on down there and help that sweet family of yours keep you chipper, happy, and make sure you're well taken care of!

So does this mean maybe your body needs a break from it and can resume the dosage you've been taking later? I'm going to go look up some things and be back. (((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Have you felt dehydrated lately?

What kind of antibiotic were you taking this month?

I'm wondering if maybe it's not the kidney function that's a problem, maybe it's something else that's increasing the toxicity.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi leslie,

i have not been on any antibiotics. Mrs. drs. say the mtx does not affect the kidney, but when the kidney is not functioning properly, then it does not process the mtx through the blood stream.....it leaves some behind.

I have been having kidney issues for some time, and dr. feels that lupus is attacking the kidneys, but i am not loosing any protein, which is common with lupus nephritis.

i don't know what the future holds....i will discuss in further detail with my nephrologist in february.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

So sorry that you're having to decrease the MTX and hope it doesn't send you in to a nasty flare. I'm sure your docs are reluctant to reduce the MTX because you've benefitted so greatly from it, but understand why they would try reducing it to see how the MTX might be impacting the kidneys.

Please take good care of yourself and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

thanks guys,

yes, i am positive that my drs. are being very cautious. It makes me feel good to know that they are watching me and talking to each other. I am not worried, just frustrated that something else to deal with has decided to raise it's nasty head.

i will find out a lot more in feb. when i see both drs.....we will see what happens between now and then. I know that i can deal with a nast flare if i have to,,,,,just not on my christmas list.

merry christmas everyone.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I hope you had a merry Christmas sweet friend and that the new year holds no flares for you at all. ((((Hugs))))