Thread: Help with Meds

Thanks

Default Help with Meds

My question is are there any medicine besides steroids that can help with lupus? I hurt so bad sometimes, also I get nauseaus, and feel so sick I can hardly move. Any suggestions would be appreciated I go back to the rhumo DR on Tuesday. This is a very small town and I need to know what I can before I go back for a visit. I am tired of being so sick all the time. Didnt mean to write a book,but I would sure appreciate any suggestions

Thanks

Smile

hi sophie a lot of us are on plaquenil and mexotrexate, they help with the symptoms of lupus a lot of us also take multi vitamins as well as vitamin b12 and vitamin d and i also take fish oil tablets but ask doctor about vitamins before taking you must always check to make sure you never take a drug unless checking the side affects and if it counteracts with any other medication you are taking. goodluck and welcome to our site i hope this helps hugs kim l

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sophie;
    The medications used to treat Lupus are as varied as the symptoms of this disease. The first line of treatment, however, usually consists of Plaquenil (anti-malarial drug) Prednisone (cortico-steroidal drug), and NsAids (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like Ibuprofen and Naproxin. Sometimes, Lupus patients are also started out on DMARDS = disease-modifying antirheumatic drug (such as Methotrexate).
    The types of medications prescribed depend upon the types of symptoms you are presenting. No two lupus patients have the same symptoms at the same time. Your specific treatment plan will also be dependent upon your age, your medical history, your sex, your current health, and your particular lifestyle. The goal of treatment is to to prevent flares, to treat flares when they do occur, and to minimize organ damage and complications.
    Also, it is important that you make some lifestyle changes in order to help you manage your symptoms. Some of these changes include: avoiding sunlight and/or fluorescent lighting, eating a healthy diet, stop smoking (if you are a smoker), exercise regularly (non-jarring exercise), make sure that you get adequate and recuperative rest, and avoid/minimize stress.
    I hope that you are able to find a treatment regimine that works for you and one that does not make you so sick.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Sophie. I'd like to add another drug suggestion to talk to your doctor about for the nausea. When mine is really bad phenergan helps me. It adds to the fatigue but it gives me relief.

I hope you start feeling better very soon. ((((Hugs))))

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm on Plaquenil (the antimalarial drug Saysusie mentioned) and Mobic (another NSAID). These have helped but I am still in a lot of pain. If you read my blog, I talk about steroids and possibility of chemo drugs. Anyway, best of luck to you.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.