Thread: My new dr./old dr.

Thanks

Cool My new dr./old dr.

After moving to N. Cal. from S. Ore. I was seeing a dr. in Redding, 2 hr. drive from Oroville, I have been very patient with him, he is the dr and is supposed to know this stuff, but now after a perioud of time it seems that his only drive is to get me off prednisone which is the one med that keeps me going, yes I know that this stuff is not good for me let alone on a long term basis, to his bennefit he has taken me from 40mg a day down to 14mg a day by reducing 1mg every 2 weeks. A 14 mg I was really feeling fatigued, missed 3 days of work and was not functioning well when I was there, I informed him of this while remaining at 14, he had blood tests run, I for the most part had to keep calling him to get any results, they finally called back and said that my blood work looked good, sed rate at 2( not sure exactly what that is supposed to mean) and that all this was showing no lupus activity. At this point I am fed up with this guy, put myself back up to 15mg a day and call my old dr. in Medford Or. who I have the utmost respect for and he agreed to take me back until I can find another in the Chico area. WOW, whats up with some people? It all goes back to the old saying; LUPUS, IF YOU AINT GOT IT, YOU JUST DON'T GET IT! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort wich we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am, sorry that you got such a lousy doctor i have a great one. Your sed rate is and indicator of how much imflamation is in your body mine were as high as 106 when in the hospital and just a few months ago mine was 77 again when i had a flare, this diease is difficult enough to put up with especially when you do not have confidence in the person who is supposed to take care of you i think some of these doctors should get more traing on dealing with these dieases. Hope you find a good doctor to take care of you. Bonita

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It's true. Most of the Drs. don't get it and never will, unless they develop lupus themselves.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

unfortunately, you are so right about the doctors. I am glad to hear that your old doc was willing and able to help.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You were so right to call your other doctor. I have a dear friend who has been on a maintenance dosage of Prednisone for 15 years with no serious, adverse reactions. So, it is possible to be on the drug for a long term period, especially if it allows you to "live". She also takes a steroid-sparing drug so that she does not have to increase her dosage of Prednisone and the two drugs together allow her to maintain some form of normalce.
    Like you, I do not understand doctors who DO NOT understand this! Again, I am glad that you called your other doctor and that he agreed to continue to work with you!
    I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm glad you called your old doctor too. Maybe you can get back to having a more normal life now. You've been so miserable.

Saysusie, I don't get it either. And it exasperated me when I asked what was the huge deal. The pcp I had last december allowed me to try some for a week so I could have a more normal holiday. When I hit that highest dose in the pack, I felt great. No head pain of any kind, no ibs problems, the only pain I still endured was in my feet. It was so great! Ever since then, no one I've seen will allow me to try it again. The hematologist I saw this year argued with me about steroids. I asked her is it normal to have migraines as often as I do. She said no. I asked what the treatment was for it and she said steroids...oh but she argued, until we're sure of what we're dealing with, a dx, it's too dangerous to try that and she got on a tangent about my pcp giving me decadron shots now and then when my inflammation is through the roof.

I just don't get it! My GI doc told me his theory is they're scared to try it because of the dangers and they would have to keep a closer eye on my health. I don't know what the reason is but it really ticks me off!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I agree, in part, with your GI. I believe that there primary motivation for not allowing you to use steroids is the fact that they will be required to see your more often and, actually have to take care of you (like monitoring you, running more frequent tests etc.). Imagine, a doctor who would actually have to do what they are paid to do!!
    OK..I'm being a bit cynical because I know there are many doctors out there who truly abide by their Hippocratic oath! It's just the ones who don't who irk me to my core!!!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!