Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lupus and survival rates

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Debbie;
    I would venture to say that, since there is no known cause for Lupus and there is no known cure for Lupus, that almost everything is a theory. Everything is based upon research and theories about medications, genetics, hormones, predispositions, environmental influences, and the list goes on and on and on! So, I agree with you 100%!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwhisper View Post
    I doubt that it's true. I was diagnosed 15 years ago and I'm not dead yet. Thank goodness! Actually, I feel a little stronger. Not physically, of course but mentally. I've lived 15 years like this so I know I can manage more. That's just me though. lol.

My Mom is 73 years old, and was diagnosed with SLE 19 years ago. She's still kicking butt and taking names!

Thanks

I agree with what everyone else has said - I met a man well into his 80's at a meeting once who was diagnosed with lupus many years ago, and was doing fine. The health issues he has are much more because he's in his 80's than because he has lupus. I intend to be like that, still active and spunky 40 years from now and lupus won't stop me!!!!! My grand plan is to work until I'm 54 and have my 30 years in, retire, enjoy life here for about a year, then move to a little stone cottage somewhere in Scotland, not far from Edinburgh.
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Thanks

Thanks for replying everyone!

I was really just confused when I read those stats over and over again.

I think sometimes I do think about it but overall I wouldn't necessarily say I'm worried. I really have been focusing lately on just improving my overall health as best as best as I can. I think I posted already but in case I haven't, I cut out all wheat, yeast, bread, dairy, coffee, tea, sugar substitutes from my diet. It'll be 3 weeks this coming monday. I definitely can say I almost feel like my old self. The pain I had in the middle of my back (which turned out to be disc narrowing and caused arthritis) is literally gone. I can only feel it when I arch my back. I'm sleeping past 4 am again & don't feel the aches in my joints and burning in my muscles as much. Not even enough to complain about. I quit eating any sweet with sugar about 2 years ago and nightshade veggies (potatoes, peppers, and tomatoes) and definitely felt a difference. Eliminating flour just worked wonders! I'm sure I'll miss my morning bagel, my 6 inch subway sub, and pizza (countless other things 2, lol) but it's worth it. I feel amazing. I have so much increased energy. I don't feel like lying in bed all day and I rarely take my flexerill and neurontin or motrin. So, anyone reading who has all the lupus and/or fibro symptoms, google candida & stay away from the white poisons, flour and sugar. I can't see myself ever going back to eating them. I'd be crazy to do so.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am glad to hear that you are feeling better and that your change in diet has helped you. You may not have to miss as much as you think you do. If you have a good health food store near you, one that sells gluten free products, you may be able to have a sandwich here and there and even some cookies once in a while.
    I found gluten-free; sugar-free; dairy-free macaroons at my health food store and they were actually tasty!

Canvass your health food stores to see what is available. You might be pleasantly surprised

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

i don't know how true it is but i read that alot of the statistics were from 70. 80's before the progression of treatment
    but i'm very much with you rob!! i worry about dying young but am determined to live forever lol !!
    really and truely i think you have ot take life day by day and not worry to much about the future just enjoy what you can now no matter if you have lupus or not
    you never know what coming round the corner many peopel that know me or here know that i lost my dad suddenly in a car crash and 6 months later lost a uncle suddenly when he was murdered
    my dad 50 and my uncle 46 and neither had serious illness so from that i have learnt a lcurve ball can be trhrown at any point soo just try and enjoy what you can each day from small things like being able to get
    out of bed in morning to big things like having loved one around us!

Thanks

thanks saysusie. i'll take a look @ whole foods. i assumed i couldn't eat bread of any kind since i thought any bread (even gluten free) contained yeast or wheat. i'm ok w/not eating flour. i can live w/o it. i feel great!

Thanks

just wanted to say, i wasn't necessarily worried. i was just confused when reading about the stats. thanks 4 posting!

Thanks

I agree, that the study's haven't went past 10 year's. But I would look at the possibilities. I would like to base it for myself, on my learned experience with Karen for instance :27 year survivor, other lupus nephritis patient's 15 yearSurvivor, I have met through different website forum's. I'm sure every patient's symptom's and level of illness can play a role, but from a supportive stand point, Karen has proven to me that the way she or other's will handle their illness a lot of times will effect the life expentency of a lupus SLE patient. For the mind can control the body being a proven fact Karen told me to tell ya and depression or non exceptence will hinder the strength needed to fight the illness. If karen a or anybody I think believed in the statistic's, the survival rate would be lower. Like it was said in another post, refuse to believe or except it. Do the thing's that are proven to help like: Having a good doctor & pateint relationship, Stay in tune with your illness and symptom's and your already a part of a good support network or you wouldn't be reading this. lol Seriously, It's a very complex disease with a lot of uncertaintys, but I believe in what Karen has taught me so far in life and from what I've talked about and read about on more positive then negitive , from what was offered in the past. So I would keep good spirit's no matter what you may learn. For A positive attitude and strong determination can get people far in life. Another proven fact for statistic purpose's.
    So my point is whatever may be written in black or white, I'd rather keep focused on the positive side, go with what I know and experience, except what I can't change for Karen, and ask myself how I can help the situation.
    MdGuy~