Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Traveler at it again

Thanks

Smile World Traveler at it again

Hi Everyone,
    Now for a bit of fun news. Heather, my world traveler, is at it again. This time, she and Eric, her significant other, have gone to Guatemala for the holiday. Since everyone enjoyed her reports from China so much, I thought that I would start this thread with her "Guatemala Reports". No pictures yet, but here's her first e-mail:

Oh, how I love to travel! Eric and I are having an absolutely wonderful time. We got in with no trouble on Tuesday and found our way to Orange Walk Town via bus. We wound up chatting with a soldier and military medic on their way home from a military holiday party, and they walked us to our hotel and then out for tacos and beer. I've never felt so safe walking around in a strange town!

We took a boat into a group of Mayan ruins in the jungle yesterday, which was fantastic. Our guide pointed out so many different birds and even crocodiles. They provided a great hot lunch for us and a guided tour of the ruins. Eric and I loved it. We also befriended a couple from Ireland and his parents, and the 6 of us went out for a really lovely long dinner last night. I'm loving this!

We'll leave for San Ignacio today, where we plan to go see more ruins and an art park and go river tubing through caves. I'll tell you all about it when I can. Just know that we're safe and very, very happy. ;-)

Love,
    Heather

So, there's the first report. I'll update this thread when I hear from her again. Oh, and my son just landed a contract for his company in Porto Rico, so he'll be traveling there a lot.
    Oh, the joys of youth!
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Epsero que tu hija y su esposo tiene un Feliz Navidad en Guatamala!
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

DITTO!

What another wonderful experience for her and for you. I know that you are pleased that they are both very happy and safe!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Cool

Guatemala report #2:
    Hello from San Ignacio! We're having such a blast. We saw a Mayan ruin on Thursday, and today we went cave tubing. Yesterday was amazing. We went hiking through the jungle to a cave where we had to swim and wade in for a mile and half and then climb into this incredible cavern where there was Mayan pottery and bones fused into the stone. There was a compete skeleton of a woman whose bones shimmer with the limestone - the Crystal Maiden. That was great. And Eric even got into the water to get there! ;-)

We'll head out to Tikal in Guatamala tomorrow and then start making our way to Guatamala City where I'll fly out. I'm healthy and happy and very much enjoying myself.

How's Meg? Still holding onto that baby?

Gotta go. I think we're going to an art park next. Take care!

Love,
    Heather

This was a big step for Eric. He's almost as afraid of swimming as I am! Heather, of course, is fearless and is a former lifeguard.
    As usual, they are having a great time.
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

sounds like she's having a blast! God bless her and keep her safe!
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

How exciting and wonderful!!!
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Smile

And now for Guatemala report # 3:
    Hi Mom and Dad,

We got to see Tikal yesterday, which was amazing. The beautiful temples sticking up through the jungle, the monkeys swinging in the treetops above us, the tropical birds crying out. Wow! We had a blast wandering around, climbing temples, and such. Last night, we stayed in Flores, a small town on an island. We took a bus this morning to Dulce Rio, followed by a river tour to Livingston, a small town with a rich history for the Garifuna peoples. Were about to enjoy yummy local seafood dishes and hopefully Garifuna drumming and music later. Weve already tried the wonderful Coco Locos, made from chopping the top off of a coconut and adding the local rum.

Tomorrow, well make our way to Antigua, near Guatemala City, and walk on the top of a live volcano. Ill fly out of Guatemala City on Thursday. I have a long layover in Miami Thursday night, but I didnt bring my cell phone, so I wont get to call until Friday, I think. Oh well. Ill be able to tell you all about the trip then.

Know that Im safe and very happy. Eric and I get around well here. In Belize, everyone spoke English of course, so were finally getting a chance to practice our Spanish here in Guatemala. Erics better than I am, but we both do quite well. Im getting some amazing pictures to share as well. We both do love to travel! Were already making plans to do something for his 35th birthday in March, and while Im in Europe this summer, he wants to show me Berlin, his favorite city. You know I have always wanted to see Germany!

We as a couple are doing extremely well too. Were talking and learning so much about each other, and were happier than ever. Life is good!

Love you!

Heather

Thanks

How cool, Marla!! It sounds like they are having a fabulous time!! I would never have had the courage to travel like that at her age, and she's making memories that will last a lifetime. Please keep sharing your updates with us - I'm really enjoying this!
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

oh marla,

thank you for sharing Heather's stories. aaaahhhhh the memories of when we were young and health was not an issue.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Talking

And yet another Guatemala update:
    Hi Mom and Dad,

I hope everything is going ok for you. I haven't heard from you in a bit. Eric and I are doing wonderfully here in Guatemala. We are now in Antigua, an extremely lovely little town with amazing food. There are beautiful little cafes and courtyards everywhere, as well as gorgeous old churches or ruins of such. And the mist-enshrouded volcanos in the distance add a lovely touch. We decided not to do a volcano tour today, but instead just spend my last day here relaxing in town and taking pictures of the churches and the beautiful Parque Central. I'll fly out tomorrow. I wish I didn't have to leave!

Anyway, I'll talk to you in a couple of days, but I wanted to take one last opportunity to let you know that I'm safe and having a wonderful vacation.

Love you!

Heather

It looks like this will be her last update before heading back to NY. I'll be sure to upload some pictures when she sends some to me.
    I'll be so happy to get her call on Christmas!
    Marla