Thread: atypical facial pain syndrome

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default atypical facial pain syndrome

I have been having horrible facial pain for the last month, Dr thinks it is atypical facial pain syndrome, I will go see yet another Doctor for confirmation or ruling out...any comments?? is this common with AI diseases?
    Grace and Peace,
    Laura
    I have loved you with an everlasting Love; Therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you"

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Just to clarify, I was being treated for a sinus infection, then he did x-rays, no sinus infection. The pain has been just awful. I also visited the dentist, and no problems found there either. I almost cried when he said he thought it was atypical facial pain syndrome. I guess I get tired of pain, it seems like I just have to live with it.
    Grace and Peace,
    Laura
    I have loved you with an everlasting Love; Therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you"

Thanks

Is it both side or just one...trigeminal neuralgia..possibly? I also get inflamed parotid glands in the jaw area which gives pain..like I was eating lemons and they are puckering for no apparent reason.
    Andrea

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Lala,

I have severe pain in my head and jaw from what Andrea mentioned-Trigeminal Neuralgia. It comes on suddenly light an electric shock and burning in my jaw and sides of my head. It is caused in my case by an inflamed blood vessel that puts pressure on the trigeminal nerve. Certain things can trigger it, like biting down hard, or brushing your teeth.

When it happens, it is devastating. It puts me on the floor, and is the absolute worst pain I have ever felt. It's considered by neurologists to be possibly the most intense pain anyone can feel. on a scale of 1 to 10, it is a 15 for me, and I have a high pain threshold. The last time it happened I was driven to the ER and given demerol, and it didn't do a damn thing.

What exactly are your symptoms? Do they sound anything like mine? Comes on quickly, burns in wave after wave? How long does your pain last? Mine was going for anywhere from 1 minute to an hour or more. I take a drug called Neurontin, and it has done a good job, as I've not had a TN bout in over 2 months. I hope you can find an answer, let me know if you need help or would like to ask me any questions. I don't know if you have TN, it's just a possibility to consider.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 12-15-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

thanks guys,
    The pain is only on my right side, I do get some relief with OTC meds like Tylenol and Advil, It is a deep ache, that hurts from under my eyes to my jaw and ear. It brings on a migraine if I can't get it under control, I have had migraines since my early 20's so I have a tendency to get them from anything.
    Rob that sound horrible, (I am not surprised that the Demerol didn't help if it a nerve issue, I have heard from my doctor that nerve pain is basically untreatable.)
    I have a low pain tolerance, well, that's what my husband says and since he doesn't live in this body..I am not sure. The pain reminds of how bad my feet hurt when I had Plantar fasciitis in them. I guess I will have to wait till I go the the neck and head pain Doctor, I still wonder if it could be my teeth....I am always trying to figure stuff out on my own.
    Grace and Peace,
    Laura