Thread: Tingling/numbness in hands and feet

Thanks

Default Tingling/numbness in hands and feet

Hey everyone,

I'm actually posting this for a colleage, Mark, who is sitting right next to me and hasn't registered yet...any thoughts would be great. (And I'll bug him to register on his own!)

He's been having some tingling/numbness in his hands and feet for a while. Had blood work done and all came back normal, but he's wondering if this could be an indication of lupus or MS. I know some of you have both...and this is something I don't have a lot of experience with myself. Could this be a first sign of MS or lupus? He is planning to go to the doctor for further tests, but is really nervous in the meantime.

Thanks, guys!
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Without knowing more about Mark, I can only say that the tingling in the hands and feet can be caused by many different things. I will assume that it is not due to his being in one position for a long time, since that is pretty self explanatory. Otherwise, any type of a neck injury may cause numbness anywhere along the arm or hand. Pressure on the spinal nerves, such as from a herniated disk can cause the tingling. Pressure on peripheral nerves from enlarged blood vessels, tumors, scar tissue, or infection can cause it.
    Shingles or herpes zoster infection can cause the tingling. Lack of blood supply to an area (due to cholesterol (plaque) build up from atherosclerosis) can cause pain, numbness, and tingling.

MS can cause this sensation. However, there are also other medical conditions can cause tingling and numbness, such as:
    Carpal tunnel syndrome (pressure on a nerve at the wrist); Diabetes;
    Migraines; Seizures; Stroke; Transient ischemic attack (TIA), sometimes called a "mini-stroke"; underactive thyroid; and Raynaud's phenomenon.

It is best that he brings this to the attention of his doctor so that appropriate tests can be run and the underlying cause can be determined. I wish you both the best and thank you for being there for him!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thanks for all that information, Saysusie. No, it's definitely not from being in one position, it's an ongoing issue for him and he's already been to the doctor once, and they haven't given him any answers yet. He suspects it's MS or lupus and is going back to the doctor soon. I do get the tingling and numbness, but I think mine is from Reynaud's. Becauase I was diagnosed with SLE, Reynaud's, and Sjogren's all at the same time, I still don't always know which one causes which symptoms, so I didn't know how to answer his questions on my own, not knowing if this is a symptom of lupus or not. He did have his thyroid checked and that came back negative.

Anyway, I'm sure he'll share more when he joins on his own, if he hasn't already.
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I hope that he does so that we can help him as much as we can. Especially if he can give us more detailed information! I haven't checked to see if he's joined already, but I will!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!