Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dietary changes..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    I'm a foodie - I LOVE to cook and to eat. I just watched "Julie & Julia", and boy, did I relate! Since I no longer have to cook for an army of picky kids, and my DH will eat anything, I've been trying lots of new recipes. I try to cook everything from fresh, whole foods, and we've been eating a very healthy diet lately.
    One thing though - I will never, never give up coffee and chocolate. Those are two "sins" that I simply must have in my life!
    Marla
    Dark chocolate, yummmm
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort wich we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3

Thanks

Might want to check out post from Morpheus/lauries lounge/raw food diet. I went to the link http://www.lupusgirlgoesraw.com/ and printed out the book she wrote A JOURNEY OF AMAZING HEALING, it takes me a while to read and absorbe the information so I havn't got very far, so far it is very interesting. If it continues to sound good I think I will try it, doesn't seem like things could get much worse, I pray for Gods guidence and healing. I will try to keep posted on what happens( if I can remember to ).
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort wich we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3

Thanks

I was told that I could possibly have lupus the other day. The ANA was 1:640. From the history of my blood work, it has been that way since 2001. The amazing thing is that I hardly ever got sick, besides having epilepsy. I am a vegetarian. I just really don't like meat, and have been that way since I was a child. I avoid caffeine and chocolate because of the seizures. I also eat about a tablespoon of coconut oil everyday. Now I'm wondering if I haven't really suffered unknowingly because of my diet?
    Last edited by misscotton; 12-22-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: left a word out.

Thanks

misscotton - That's very interesting, I wouldn't be surprised if you're on to something there!

I think the rest of you are probably right as well, I suppose if I don't overdo it with the coffee and sweets, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Everything in moderation, right? I have found though that since I've started the Plaquenil, I can't really tolerate alcohol anymore... Not only does it take less to effect me, but if I have more than say 1 or 2 beers or 1 glass of wine, I start getting nasty headaches and it's just not worth it anymore! I suppose that ought to aid a bit in the whole trying to lose some weight endeavor! (I hope..)
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
    The courage to change the things I can...
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity81 View Post
    misscotton - That's very interesting, I wouldn't be surprised if you're on to something there!

I think the rest of you are probably right as well, I suppose if I don't overdo it with the coffee and sweets, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Everything in moderation, right? I have found though that since I've started the Plaquenil, I can't really tolerate alcohol anymore... Not only does it take less to effect me, but if I have more than say 1 or 2 beers or 1 glass of wine, I start getting nasty headaches and it's just not worth it anymore! I suppose that ought to aid a bit in the whole trying to lose some weight endeavor! (I hope..)
    I've noticed too that alcohol and plaq don't agree with each other. I can usually "hold my liquor" just fine, but the plaq makes me have a very low tolerance, and creates a terrible headache from even small amounts.

BTW Marla, chocolate and coffee are two vices I will never give up either. I like both dark, and really strong.
    Last edited by rob; 12-26-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks

Wink

As I sit here drinking a nice strong Grasshopper - thankfully, I don't seem to be having any problem with having a few drinks and taking Plaquenil. I just make sure that I don't drink on the day of my MTX injection or for a couple of days after.
    We live in the middle of California wine country. I'd be very upset if I couldn't imbibe!
    Marla

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    I've noticed too that alcohol and plaq don't agree with each other. I can usually "hold my liquor" just fine, but the plaq makes me have a very low tolerance, and creates a terrible headache from even small amounts.

BTW Marla, chocolate and coffee are two vices I will never give up either. I like both dark, and really strong.
    Rob - Yea, I can usually hold my liquor, too! I suppose now it's just one less stereotype my Irish background can claim..

Oh, also, dark chocolate & peanut butter together =
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity81 View Post
    Rob - Yea, I can usually hold my liquor, too! I suppose now it's just one less stereotype my Irish background can claim..

Oh, also, dark chocolate & peanut butter together =

I'm half Irish myself, and the other half is Dutch. Is it a stereotype if it's actually true? (I've been known to imbibe in my past-just a little!) However, I've found that Plaquenil does not agree with alcohol, bummer.

I agree, chocolate and peanut butter is awesome. I prefer Hersheys Dark for dipping, and Jif Creamy is the way to go as far as P.B.! It's probably really bad for you, but many things don't taste good these days, so I suppose I have an excuse to indulge.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 12-27-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    I'm half Irish myself, and the other half is Dutch. Is it a stereotype if it's actually true? (I've been known to imbibe in my past-just a little!) However, I've found that Plaquenil does not agree with alcohol, bummer.

I agree, chocolate and peanut butter is awesome. I prefer Hersheys Dark for dipping, and Jif Creamy is the way to go as far as P.B.! It's probably really bad for you, but many things don't taste good these days, so I suppose I have an excuse to indulge.

Rob
    Oh my gosh, YES!! My appetite is in the tank these days! Nothing sounds good, when things do, they don't taste good... and I fill up super quick! You'd think this would be aiding in my attempt to lose these extra pounds, but NO! That would be too easy. I hardly get any enjoyment from food anymore.. it's almost not even worth it when I eat just because I know I need to or ought to and then get full on crap that I didn't really want anyhow...

The Plaquenil does seem to be helping out with the fatigue lately, so I'm thinking I'll try to start some light exercise soon. Hopefully that will kick start it.
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse