Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dietary changes..

Thanks

Default Dietary changes..

Hey everyone,

It's been a few weeks since I've posted anything.... been super busy trying to finish up classes for this semester.

I was wondering, I've been trying to do some research regarding diet and SLE, but haven't really come up with much.

I've heard that a vegetarian or vegan diet can be helpful... I'm not so sure I could go completely vegan.. but I already don't eat much red meat. I don't know if that's been something I've strayed away from because on some subconscious level I knew it made me feel bad, but I just tend to not crave red meats much.

Also, lately, dairy has been upsetting my stomach ALOT!! Then again, I suppose that could also be the Plaquenil.. I've only been on it since the beginning of November.

Has anyone here had any luck with certain diet changes? I'd love to hear some stories about what's worked for you guys and try to develop a plan that suits me.

Thanks.
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
    The courage to change the things I can...
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

Thanks

I don't follow a specific plan but I can tell you... chocolate/caffeine(coffee)/alcohol do bother me.Having said that,,when I am feel badly or depressed about the LUP..what do I reach for...you got!! I am an admitted sugarholic and I have read that sugar and AI issues are not good together..it can cause inflamation...I have terrible will power.Good luck and eating healthy will never hurt you.
    Andrea

Thanks

One of the first things I learned when I was diagnosed with lupus is to listen to my body. What helped me was to keep a food diary for two full weeks, listing everything I ate and noting how I felt after each time I ate. That helped me to understand which foods helped me to feel at my best.

What I learned is probably not typical of many lupus patients, and I'm not sure why it's true for me, but I feel best when I eat fish, eggs, and beef. Close second is lamb. Also, lots of veggies, milk, grapes, and cherries.

I feel the worst when I eat processed foods, sugar, fried foods, high fructose corn syrup, and caffeine.

When I stuck to that diet, I lost 80 pounds and felt great.

However...I've not stuck to it lately for a number of reasons, gained lots of weight back, and felt awful. I need to be more disciplined and not give in to emotional eating, but it's hard.

For me, the best way to eat is to have 2 eggs over hard with a glass of V8 juice and a glass of milk for breakfast. For lunch, 3oz protein (usually what's leftover from dinner), 3 servings of vegs, and some fruit. For dinner, usually the same with maybe a baked potato or small serving of gluten-free pasta. It's also best if I have NO processed foods and no artificial foods like margarine, just real butter. No pop (soda) either, although I really love my Pepsi One!

I'm really trying to get fully back on track, and I really want to do it, I just can't seem to manage to stick to it yet. In January, though, the lupus support group is going to have a nutritionist work with us each month and help us get on track with food and exercise, so I'm hoping that will motivate me.
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Thanks

Yea, I think the key probably would be to stay away from the processed foods and sugars..

It's just so difficult, with working and school full-time! And I love my coffee =(

Cheryl, what part of MI did you say you were from? I'd love to start going to a group, I'm feeling super isolated lately... it's hard to really talk to people about some things I'm going through because they aren't in my shoes, too.
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Thanks

Shannon, hi!! I'm from SE Michigan too, Royal Oak area. I didn't notice your location, but I'm so glad there's someone else here from our area! The lupus group meets in St. Clair Shores and it's an absolutely wonderful group of people who have become friends.

Also, there is a fabulous social worker there once a week who helps us work through the issues we have to deal with in regards to living with lupus. You can have counseling in the office or even on the phone. There is a charge for counseling, but it's based on what you can afford.

One reason I love the group so much is exactly what you said - it's a chance to be with people who truly understand, who are living this life dealing with isolation, fear, frustration...and when we're together we don't feel so alone anymore. I always leave feeling SO much better! We just had our December meeting on Tuesday night, but there will be a January meeting and that's when the nutritionist starts. Send me a private message if you want to know more about it - I really hope you join us. Also, if you want to get together sometime, that would be great! I'm going to be off for Christmas break after next week.

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl

Thanks

I gave up coffee. At 49 I have never given it up before, even during stays in the hospital and the sickest I've ever been. It was GERD that got me, I just felt too crummy trying to eat and drink and the coffee was just making it worse. Gave up alcohol too but have re-introduced it in small amounts.

The surprising thing is, now that my reflux symptoms are in check and my appitite is back, I seem to want less sweets and I think it is becuase I'm off coffee.

I'm feeling much better though I think it is the meds rather than the diet, a healthy diet and exercise I think is all the more important with lupus becuase we are extra sensitive to stress and eating badly is a form of stress to the body - anyway that's what I think.

btw - am enjoying roobios tea - is very good
    much love to all my lupie friends -

Thanks

its really hard for me because people at my school can eat anything... food is just too tempting.

Thanks

As much as I don't want to admit it, I know that I have to probably give up the coffee and soda... I'm way too dependent on caffeine!

Although, I guess that could probably be considered a form of "self-medicating" the fatigue these past years. On top of that, I just recently took a new position at work in bookkeeping, which means that on most days, I have to be at work at 5am!! Giving up coffee for me is gonna be a toughie!
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse

Thanks

Talking

I'm a foodie - I LOVE to cook and to eat. I just watched "Julie & Julia", and boy, did I relate! Since I no longer have to cook for an army of picky kids, and my DH will eat anything, I've been trying lots of new recipes. I try to cook everything from fresh, whole foods, and we've been eating a very healthy diet lately.
    One thing though - I will never, never give up coffee and chocolate. Those are two "sins" that I simply must have in my life!
    Marla

Thanks

I've been thinking about this, and talked with a friend about it on the phone last night. And what I realized is this: I have had to give up so incredibly much over the last three years since I was diagnosed with lupus, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, and celiac. Most of the things I loved, I've had to let go of. From favorite foods like pizza to doing committee work at my job had to go. And I love both chocolate and Pepsi One. I'm no longer willing to give them up, and I don't feel like I should have to. I don't do either one to excess. Well, most of the time anyway...this time of year there is entirely too much chocolate in my reach, lol. But if I want to get some pleasure from a nice cold glass of Pepsi One, or smooth chocolate, why can't I?!

So Marla and everyone else, I'm with you! Some things just won't be give up!

(That said, January 19th is the time the nutritionist meets with us, and I've decided that's the day I will get serious about losing weight again. I hope I have the discipline and motivation to do it!)

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl