Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi everyone! BIG question

Thanks

Default Hi everyone! BIG question

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site, but I've been dealing with Lupus for a while. I was diagnosed when I was 15 and since then it's been a roller coaster from good days when I can almost forget I have Lupus to being hospitalized for weeks.
    There's one question that I've been wanting to ask from people who actually have this disease (my doctors have all been very vague and tend to avoid this question... warning, it's a heavy one) Does Lupus dramatically increase changes of miscarriage? I have a family history of miscarriages (my mom had 3, aunt had 2, other aunt had 2, and grandmother had 4) and have been pregnant twice, both times have ended in miscarriage. My doctors have run multiple tests and haven't been able to find a definite cause (I've been assured many times that my endometriosis isn't the cause) beyond "these things happen." Not very comforting. I'm obviously fertile. In fact, both pregnancies occurred while I was on the birth control so they weren't exactly planned (little tip: the patch isn't as effective as you'd think and that whole "antibiotics make the pill ineffective" thing is not a rumor... tried and tested) but nonetheless I did everything by the book the minute I suspected I was pregnant and still miscarried both times.
    It's frustrating not knowing if this is just "one of those things" or if Lupus is preventing me from having a successful pregnancy. I've wanting children my whole life, so knowing that I'll have to look at alternative options ahead of time would really help when I start planning a family. Has anyone else had similar problem?

Sorry, I know this is a ridiculously long post but I could really use some advice

Thanks

Welcome to WHL, EmmaLeigh!

From what I understand, and I'm no expert, women with SLE (or autoimmune issues in general) suffer from more miscarriages than women who do not. In fact, that's one of the questions the rheumy asked me in particular. I had one miscarriage, but I do have three beautiful children, so please don't despair.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks

Hi EmmaLeigh,
    Welcome to WHL. As BonusMom said, miscarriages do seem to be associated with Lupus. I'm sure that someone who knows more than we do will come along. I was just dx'd in the last three years, but I'm sure that I've had symptoms for a long, long time. Despite this, I have five healthy adult children. I did have one miscarriage - I lost a set of twins.
    As for antibiotics and the pill - my daughter had direct experience with this. She was working at Petsmart (college job) and helped a customer with a sick turtle. Little did she know, turtles carry salmonella, and this one shared it with her. She was on several different antibiotics, but none seemed to work. Before the doc would give her IV antibiotic, they did a pregnancy test, and guess what?? We call Kyle, her beautiful little 4 year old, our turtle boy!
    Don't despair, and go through and read some of the threads about Lupus and pregnancy.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Thanks everyone! I had a conversation with my new rheumatologist and she told me that it may take me a little longer to conceive, but not to rule out having my own kids just yet! I also found out that in addition to SLE I have fibromyalgia... but it wasn't exactly unexpected (my mom has it) so I'm trying to take it in stride. Thanks again for the advice!

Thanks

Smile hi emmaleigh

welcome to the site i can only give you example of what i went through i had 4 miscarriages all between 8 to 10 weeks they could not find cause then i went on to having 3 children all premature births my son is now 23 my eldest daughter 21 and i have a 14 year old daughter. i had one still birth at 20 weeks they could find no cause. after talking to rheumotoligist after being diagnosed last year he told there is a link between miscarriages and premature births and lupus and fertility can be harder but not impossible so do not give up hope i was diagnosed when i had my miscarriages my rheumi told me if they had known they could of possibily given me medication to help with my pregnancies. talk to your doctor about your concerns and ask him some questions he maybe able to help. good luck emmaleigh and have a merry christmas i hope this will help with some of your questions. hugs kim l

Thanks

Talking :)

I know it's been awhile, but I just wanted to thank everyone again for the advice and share some great news. About 2 weeks after my last post I found out I was once again pregnant (we decided it might take a little bit longer to have a successful pregnancy so we figured we'd get a head start.) After holding my breath for the first trimester I was able to breathe a big sigh of relief and, well... Isabella was born last month 3 weeks premature but without any serious complications

Thanks

Congratulations!!! That is such a wonderful post to read. So often we get the negative side of things but this is great. I love the name you picked out. I'm just tickled pink for you!!!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 628 Posts

Wow, that is great news! I'm glad Isabella is healthy and happy. This is proof that you can still have a life and pursue your dreams despite Lupus. Congratulations!

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Congratulations! that is fantastic news.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Oh how wonderful.
    Congratulations to you and your husband.
    What a nice thing to read, early in the morning.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).