Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tired of being sick....and cymbalta

Thanks

Angry tired of being sick....and cymbalta

so everytime i mention to my drs im still having symptoms all they do is up my pain meds. they arent giving me anything else to control my disease process. i have been on plaquenil 6 months & i still have rashes,ulcers & cns symptoms(dizziness,headaches and neuropathic symptoms(burning,tingling & vibration sensations which are patchy like vasculitis) with neg tests and autonomic symptoms(intermittent elevated heart rates to 100-180s, shortness of breath,mottled redness on hands,flushing identical to my photosensitive rash etc. just to name some) I also very recently(this past week) have had trouble seeing at night when I drive and when I got out of the car it seemed like I was leaning to the right and couldn't keep my balance too well but it eventually went away. I have also had this intermittent shooting sharp pain go from my head to my shoulder blades almost down my spine. It makes me cringe when I feel it it is very intense. my dr said lets try and see if the cymbalta helps b4 trying anything else..that wont control my disease! i flare every month still..? .....as for cymbalta...has any1 taken it and how r the side effects? does it work for headaches/depression/brain fog?
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Thanks

Default sorry!

I forgot to mention I have been tested for fibromyalgia and I do not have any tender points or the muscle tenderness that is accompanied with fibro. My pain is also not widespread it is patchy moreso like vasculitis. So I wonder then why my 2 EMG's/Nerve conduction studies & 1 skin biopsy for small nerve fiber involvement were negative??? Can anyone relate? Also, what is the difference between Lupus Cerebritis & Lupus Vasculitis? Thanks so much.
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Thanks

wow your symptoms sound exactly like mine. I have CIdp. but lately I have had rheumatological symtoms I get the patches or what I call phantom voids of sensation. I have been having a chaffed rash on my face and my hands, red. brain fog that has sinus pressure too. my heart rate has only gone up to 120 lately but it feels like its pounding. my blood pressure drops to 80s over 40s( that is the CIDP). I get joint pain and all kinds of different pain. I dont have the link on me right now but cross reference "fibromyalgia", "cidp" and "oxford journal" it kind of says that in many cases fibro is closer to neurology than rheumatology and can be linked to CIDP. I am going to some fancy doctors this week and I will let you know what they come up with. maybe it might apply to you.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

LUPUS CEREBRITIS
    Lupus cerebritis is blood vessel damage caused by the body's own defense system and it is a symptom of Lupus that is very difficult to diagnose. When that damage is inflammation, it is usually refered to as Lupus vasculitis.
    Lupus cerebritis basically refers to brain or nervous system involvement in Lupus. The symptoms of lupus cerebritis may be mild or severe and these may include depression, anxiety, headaches, stroke and seizures and others. Serious symptoms of this condition are found in about 15% of cases and is usually only found in those patients who have severe Lupus.
    In some cases, inflammation of brain can be seen if the brain or the nervous system is attacked as a result of problems with the immune system. The serious problems caused because of inflammation include: headaches, seizures, vision problems, dizziness, behavior changes and even stroke.
    More recently, cases with some mild form of lupus cerebritis have been seen. The symptoms of these cases include: a mild kind of depression, headache and even memory loss in some cases.
    Treatment can include steroids along with immunosuppressive drugs. Brain scans are used to determine if the condition is related to a clotting problem that is called Hughes syndrome. In these cases, some areas in the blood does not get sufficient blood supply because of a blood clot, and in this case, the treatment involves thinning the blood with anticoagulants or aspirin.
    In severe flare ups of lupus, some other psychiatric disorders may be experienced including mood swings or other personality disorders. In some cases however psychotic behavior may also be observed. It is important to understand that in United States, more than 50 % patients with systemic lupus erythematosus may suffer from some type of neurological involvement with their Lupus.
    Basically there are two kinds of lupus cerebritis affecting the brain. The first kind is seen when lupus causes physical changes or alterations in the brain activity. The second form is a clotting disorder (such as Hughes Syndrome).

LUPUS VASCULITIS
    Lupus vasculitis is inflammation of the blood vessels. Inflammation is a condition in which tissue is damaged by blood cells entering the tissues. In inflammatory diseases (like Lupus), these cells are mostly white blood cells. White blood cells circulate and serve as our major defense against infection. Ordinarily, white blood cells destroy bacteria and viruses. However, they can also damage normal tissue if they invade it.
    Vasculitis can cause many different symptoms, depending upon:
    what tissues are involved and the severity of the tissue damage.
    Some patients are not ill but notice occasional spots on their skin.
    Others are very ill with systemic symptoms and major organ damage.
    Internal (systemic) symptoms can include: fever, generally feeling bad (malaise), muscle and joint pain, poor appetite, weight loss, and fatigue.
    Skin symptoms can include: red or purple dots (petechiae), usually most numerous on the legs, larger spots (about the size of the end of a finger (purpura), some of which look like large bruises). Less common vasculitis lesions are: hives, an itchy lumpy rash, or painful or tender lumps. Areas of dead skin can appear as: ulcers (especially around the ankles, small black spots at the ends of the fingers or around the fingernails and toes (nail fold infarcts), gangrene of fingers or toes.
    Brain symptoms are very similar to those of Lupus Cerebritis: headaches,
    behavioral disturbances, confusion, seizures, and strokes.
    I hope that I've answered your question. Please let me know if you need anything further.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I've been on Prozac, Lexapro, and Paxil for anxiety/suspected depression, and never had good results. The Paxil probably did the best at alleviating the anxiety, but only because the dosage was high enough to turn me into a zombie. This past spring, I tried Cymbalta for a few months, and was hopeful that it would not produce the zombie-effect, since it works on both serotonin and norepinephrin, but no such luck. I've come to the conclusion that the mental symptoms that we as lupus sufferers have are not caused by the normal cause, and therefore, the normal treatments aren't very effective. Since anti-inflammatories actually help my anxiety more than anything else, I know that my mental issues are caused by inflammation. Whether it's vascular swelling or tissue swelling or something else I haven't even considered, I don't know, and my doctor doesn't care to help figure it out, since, as far as he's concerned, anxiety, dizziness, nausea, etc. aren't lupus symptoms. Anyway, to come back from that tangent, I hope Cymbalta works for you, but don't hold your breath....

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I too tried Cymbalta. I was on it for 6 months. No relief or any help for anything.

adsimcik, I'm beginning to think as you do about typical treatments not helping. I have heard of some using treatments like Cymbalta that helped, but not very many.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie View Post
    Less common vasculitis lesions are: hives, an itchy lumpy rash, or painful or tender lumps.
    Brain symptoms are very similar to those of Lupus Cerebritis: headaches,
    behavioral disturbances, confusion
    Well, I'm shocked. This is the first I've heard/read about this before. Thanks!

Thanks

I am right there with you...a lot of "typical" meds don't do what they are supposed to do for us. I also developed super drug sesntivites..I can hardly take anything without having some odd effect. If one more doc says.."well that shouldn't be" I am going to just ((((explode)))))!!!! Because they didn't read it in a book or journal ...it shouldn't be...well I am living proof.
    Andrea

Thanks

I tried Cymbalta for a while when they thought I had Fibromyalgia.. Went through Lyrica first, ended up quitting the Cymbalta because it gave me wicked hot flashes and night sweats so bad that I had to wash the sheets every day!! I hung on as long as I could, hoping that it was just a side effect and would go away, but alas, it didn't. I was bummed, because for once, Cymbalta actually did address *some* of my pain issues (albeit, not much).. that's when I went to Savella, no improvement and then they gave me the Dx of SLE... now I'm on Plaquenil.
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
    The courage to change the things I can...
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

Thanks

Ive been on plaquenil for 6 months...no relief :/
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day