Thread: Birth control

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Birth control

Hello, i recently got my first shot of Depro Provera Sub Q and i was wondering how this has worked for other lupus patients. I was on Orthro tri cyclen for about 5 years but the etrogen kept me sick. I discontinued that last Dec 08. I have done tons of research but i just want to know some first hand experiences....Thanks very much!
    "Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

Thanks

I was sick A LOT on depo, but it may just be me. My doctor told me it could have been the hormones, but pills made me sick too. I just recently got married and my husband and I have decided that the sickness I get isn't worth not having a child. If God wants us to have a child, we will, and since we both decided NO MORE birth control ever, then God may decided to bless up with more than one, and that's perfectly fine too!

Specifically the birth control made me nauseous, made my arthritis worse, and made my tell-tale lupus "butterfly" rash MUCH MUCH worse. My doctor told me it could have also contributed to my hair loss since some doctors recommend that you do not take birth control at all with plaquenil and prednisone. I hope this has helped you. I know picking birth control is difficult and frustrating for us lupus peeps, but it is a decision that only you can make. You have to figure out what's best for you. For me and my situation, I chose NO birth control, but I also know that that may not be an option for you.

I hope you soon start feeling better. Just remember, God is always there to listen, even and especially if it seems like he's far away!

Have a GREAT weekend!

~Amanda

Thanks

Hi Purplepink,

I agree with Amanda it's up to you and everyone is different.. I loved my depo shot and almost cried when I had to get off of it LOL. But that was my response to the shot. =) I have also been on the pill and that worked as well however, I was in so much pain I missed having the depo shot b/c it took away my period and I didnt have to worry about it for a few years.

Every BC has risks so its up to Good luck!

neL