Thread: AARP Article on chronic illnesses

Thanks

Talking AARP Article on chronic illnesses

OK, I'll admit it - I'm a member of AARP.
    Since I am, I receive their magazine, and today I read an interesting article. It is titled "Take Charge of Your Health" and it addressed the need for support and education in management skills for those of us with chronic diseases. It mentioned Stanford's Chronic Disease Self-Management Program, which was originated by a nurse and Stanford professor, Kate Lorig. She also wrote a book called "Living a Healthy Life With Chronic Conditions".
    It seems that Stanford has developed a workshop for this, and that these workshops are becoming available throughout California, and is considered a prototype for such programs in other states.
    This author and The National Council on Aging are fighting to get payment for such workshops covered by insurance companies. I loved this quote from the article - "Until our health care system improves care for those with chronic illnesses, we'll never get a handle on costs".
    It was very cheering to read that there are people out there fighting for us!
    Just an FYI for my friends at WHL,
    Marla (the elderly AARP member)

Thanks

Thanks for sharing this Grandma (AARP) Marla. DH turns 50 in the Spring so we'll be getting our own copy soon.

My MIL had urology surgery at Stanford last month and could not praise the staff and facility enough. I think I'll try locating the workshop and also pick up the book you mentioned-sounds like they could both be beneficial.
    Last edited by BonusMom; 12-03-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I totally agree with the quote that you shared. Thanx for sharing the article and, as we've said many times, our health care is pretty much up to us in that WE must be the ones to advocate for ourselves and take charge of our health care.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!