Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Animal Attack!

Thanks

Default Wild Animal Attack!

At 4:30 this afternoon, my very pregnant daughter called me, screaming hysterically. I thought that she was in labor. As it turned out, she had gone out to put the garbage into the trash bin and a raccoon jumped out of the bin and onto her. It had launched itself off of her head and chest.
    I calmed her down somewhat and asked if it had bit her - no, thank goodness. Then I asked whether it had scratched her. She looked in a mirror and said that her face was ok. Then she saw that she had a big scratch on one breast, and that it was red and swollen. I had her to clean it and put neosporin on it.
    I told her to call her hubby at work and to call the Dr., since he might want her on antibiotics. Sure enough, the nurse first checked to make sure that she didn't have to worry about rabies, since it wasn't a bite, and then called in a prescription for antibiotics. Tyler's grandparents took her to get the prescription. The last that I talked to her, she was taking her medicine and going to bed to wait for her hubby to get home.
    Wow, what a long-distance emergency call!
    GrandmaMarla - to the rescue!

Thanks

Wow, what a way to end the day, I pray that she is ok, darned raccoons anyway.
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort wich we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I'm glad she's OK Marla. I'm especially glad she only got a scratch, and not a bite. Antibiotics are a wise precaution in situations like this. When things like this happen, it will scare the hell out of a person regardless of what sort of animal it is, especially coming from out of nowhere and right in your face like that. Wow, I'm just glad it's only a scratch.

We had a pretty nasty situation happen here a couple of years ago. My sis and I were out walking when the neighbors German Sheperd went nuts, broke it's chain, and attacked her. We're way out in the woods, and being bear country, I always carry a pistol on walks. It was on her arm thrashing and I didn't dare shoot so kicked it in the ribs. It got on her again and grabbed her in the kidney area, and I kicked it a couple more times. It let go just for a second but then went for her face and throat at which point I shot it twice and killed it.

We had both petted that dog numerous times, and it was the nicest dog around, and always happy to see people. The neighbor is an elderly man, and he never once had a problem with the dog. He felt terrible about the attack, I felt terrible about killing it but I had no choice. He ran outside when he heard the screams, and witnessed the attack, but I was so focused on the dog and getting a clear shot, I didn't even hear him yelling at me to shoot. It was crazy. The game warden had animal control test for rabies or some problem that would cause the dog to snap, but they found nothing. Sis ended up in the hospital with a couple of fractured ribs and multiple lacerations and puncture wounds. She's doing fine these days, but it was a terrifying experience.

I'm glad your situation turned out relatively OK.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 12-03-2009 at 09:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm so glad your daughter is okay. Oh Racoons can be so mean! They're adorable but can be ferocious. I'm praying she heals quickly, Marla.

Rob......DUDE! You are THE MAN!

I'd love to have a brother like you!!! Your poor sister. I bet that took quite a while to get over.

Thanks

Meg owns a beautiful German Shepherd. She was thankful that she hadn't let him follow her outside. We're sure that he would have attacked the raccoon to protect her, and she might have wound up in the pet emergency room with Conner, as well as dealing with her own problems.
    Marla

Thanks

Oh Marla..thats a call I wouldn't want...she is so lucky it didn't trigger labor! I was bitten by a dog as a child that had no shots yet..yipes..I only had to get a tetanus shot and the dog was kept in isolation for 10 days..no rabies.
    Rob..your sister is so lucky you were there... with weapon!! I have had three dog bites in my life, as a child, it is very traumatic. As an adult, I eventually got two dalmatians and that really cured me of my fear of big dogs.
    Andrea

Blog Entries
    Thanks

OMG Marla thats sooo scary......whats a racoon?

ISDM
    xxx
    **The next or $ raised WILL be the cure for LUPUS**

☺☻If YoU gOt OcD aNd YoU kNoW iT....wAsH yA hAnDs☺☻

..♪♫**.❤.**☆.。.*✿♪♫**.❤.**☆.。 .*✿

Thanks

Poor Grandma Marla! I'm so sorry you got such a scary phone call. I'm so relieved that your daughter sustained just a scratch and perhaps one of the most frightening things EVER! My only close encounter with a raccoon was when we were camping (Bonus Daughter's first ever camping trip) and sitting around the campfire, playing charades, when we saw four eyes glowing in the dark. The stinkers stole our bread (no freench toast for us the next morning) and scurried off.

The thought of people undergoing rabies' shots makes me queasy as I've heard they are very, very painful.

Please extend our wishes for a an "easy" delivery and a healthy baby boy.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

@Marla - OMG that is quite a fright! I am glad to hear it worked out in a positive way.

@Rob - WOW! Did your sister end up scared of dogs? I can't even imagine what I would have done if I were in your situation, especially since I don't have a gun to bring on hikes with me. Your sister is lucky you were there and prepared.

@panda - I am glad to hear that you are now free from your fear.

@Jane - see attached. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raccoon. They look cute and furry but can be quiet dangerous.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Marla; My gosh, that is a very scary story and I am so thankful that she was not seriously injured. That is certainly a blessings, but is there any way that she can ward of racoons to avoid another situation like that?

Rob; You are the man I want around when I am in a dangerous situation. How you managed to stay focused and calm simply amazes me. I am so sure that your sister is very grateful for you! I'm glad to hear that even the dog's owner realized that the dog had to be stopped with deadly force!

Best Wishes to both of you
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!