Thread: helppp with something ?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default helppp with something ?

i was wondering, how did you guys decide which college was right for you?

because so far i have been accepted into 3 colleges,
    Penn State Greater Allegheny campus
    Edinboro University of Pennsylvania
    California University of Pennsylvania

and i just don't know which one to choose ?!

i'm still waiting on letters from
    slippery rock university and the university of pittsburgh
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I decided by making a list of what was most important to me at that college (for example I didn't want a school more then 4 hours from home or one that was too big) and then I narrowed it down by what courses I wanted to take for my major and minor and what was offered then I asked around to everyone and anyone who went to the schools I was looking at or knew someone who did what they thought the pros and cons of that school were and last (and what was most important to me) I visited the schools to see what the campus and students and student life and general atmosphere was like. I narrowed it down to 2 schools and in the end, I switched my mind about 3 weeks before I left as to where I wanted to go b/c the first school I wanted kept changing the financial aid package I was receiving and my 2nd runner up gave me a really good package, which was important in my situation. It ended up being a great thing since I am still close friends with many of my friends I met that first year and since I had a wonderful college experience and felt that I got a great education.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Cool

Hi Ashley,
    OK, here's the teacher, trying to help.
    I made my choice according to my major. I picked the school that had the best classics department that I could find, along with a good education department. Of course it helped that they offered me a full tuition scholarship, too. So, what do you plan to major in? Which of those schools has the best department in that major? Do some research and find out if most of the people who graduate from that school and that department in particular get jobs in their chosen fields.
    Ask yourself, do you prefer a big campus with huge classes, or a small college with small classes? Each have advantages and disadvantages, so it's your preference.
    Do you want to be far from home, or close by? Again, your preference.
    Of course, is money a factor? Which one would offer you the best financial aid package, if you need it?
    The best advice that I can give you is - Visit the schools! Check out the classes and the dorms/apartments. If it feels like the right fit for you, and you can see yourself living there for the next four years, then you'll know it's right.
    My oldest daughter was accepted at LOTS of schools (she was valedictorian), so she was in a dilemma, too. She had visited several in Texas, and ranked them according to all of the above. Then she got accepted by Stanford, MIT and Cal Tech. MIT offered no financial aid and no help to visit, Stanford offered half tuition, but no help to visit. Cal Tech sent her a round trip plane ticket and told her that if she was the right fit for the school, not to worry about money. She visited, and called me from the dorm she was staying in, saying "Mom, I've found my home!" Cal Tech gave her so much financial aid, we didn't pay a penny for the five years she spent there.
    So you see, there are a lot of things to consider, but it all comes down to you. It's your future, and the college that you choose has a big influence on your future. Choose the one that feels right for you.
    This is what I always told my students, too.
    Bona Fortuna! (good luck)
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

so i got another acceptance letter today in the mail for
    University of Pittsburgh-Greensburg. which right now seems like it might be the school for me, but i want to visit to make sure i like the campus and dorms and such.
    since i'll be living there cuz its about an hour away from my house.

the good thing about pitt greensburg is that after two years, i can transfer to pitt main campus, which is in pittsburgh, which is the city i live in lol, so i could live at home, and literally take a port authority bus to my classes, or even get a ride.

i don't want to be too far from home, one because i'll have to come home anyways for my medication refills n' such lol, and for doctors appointments, i don't want to get new doctors, not yet at least. plus in case something would happen, seein as i'm so accident and injury prone, i don't want to be too far away from home.
    Penn State is only a half hour away, yet i would still live on campus, but the tuition is way higher then all the other schools.
    even with the 4,000 dollar scholarship they are willing to give me, it will still be about 25,000 to go per year. where as the other schools are about 15,000.
    i also get 5,000 from whats called the Pittsburgh Promise, which is money that the city is giving us, to keep us in colleges in Pennsylvania i guess.
    haha

but as lame as it sounds, im just not ready to be TOO far away from home, not yet at least.
    but i have to visit Pitt before i make any decisions i guess.
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

Thanks

Thumbs up

Atta girl, Ashley
    You're thinking ahead, and coming to some good conclusions. Usually, I tell young people to go ahead and move further away from home to make their own lives and learn to become independent. However, in your case, I agree that it would be best for you to not have to change docs, pharmacies, etc. and to have the support of your parents when you need them. I does sound like you're well on your way to independence, though.
    Warning: moving back home after two years of living on your own may be a little tough - for you and your parents!
    So get out there and visit campuses, and keep us informed!
    Hugs,
    Marla