Thread: Laughter is good medicine!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Laughter is good medicine!

I am super focusing on the subject these days!

Cognitive therapy is a very good thing!

Ya' know...there's stress and then there's STRESS. And the holidays can really add to stress in life. Although it's supposed to be a happy time, it actually adds to my battle with depression.

I truly believe depression is affecting me physically...it's a nasty circle to be in. Pain can depress you and then the depression has the potential to create pain.

I really enjoy my amplified Bible. Proverbs 17:22...A happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing, but a broken spirit dries up the bones.

I don't know if laughter could put my body into remission, but I do believe happiness has its healing qualities just as much as depression can make me feel worse. Life is full of enough stress. For those of us that have no choice but to frequent doctor offices much more than we care for...along with all the bumps and bruises that come with Lupus and other AI diseases, it's such a challenge to keep ourselves upbeat and positive. Being happy is something our bodies need just as much as supplements, exercise, medication, etc...

Check out this interesting science article I found on the subject...http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0417084115.htm

Here's a snippet from there...
    ScienceDaily (Apr. 17, 2009) — The connection between the body, mind and spirit has been the subject of conventional scientific inquiry for some 20 years. The notion that psychosocial and societal considerations have a role in maintaining health and preventing disease became crystallized as a result of the experiences of a layman, Norman Cousins. In the 1970s, Cousins, then a writer and magazine editor of the popular Saturday Review, was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease.

I have found what's even better than laughter is to share the laughs with others. We do that time to time here and it's great that we can share laughs and put smiles on each other's faces with the kindness. Especially at our brain fog moments...that's an awesome thread! Laughing alone isn't near as fun as laughing together! I think that boosts the healing benefits.

Let's keep on laughing together and share as many laughs with our families and friends that aren't part of our WHL family. How about we share funny sites, books, etc... with each other? I have a growing collection of funny sites bookmarked. I love adding to them. Here are a couple of my favorites.

My little family and I love the website http://www.thereifixedit.com
    We've had to rig things in creative ways before too and appreciate seeing the work of others on this site... and cringe at the scary stuff there.

Another site we appreciate is lolcats at http://icanhascheezburger.com/page/3/ and at the top are links to other funnies. Loldogs is just as hilarious.

PS...If smiling and laughing increases your pain...know that I'm in that same boat with you. If I laugh a little too much, I could trigger the migraine monster, make my face ache more, increase my eye pain...but the side effects are very worth it to me. Also, I find trying to control a laugh makes something even funnier...and in trying to contain it so I don't suffer more physically, that's worth it too. The laughter wells up and I feel like I'm lit up on the inside. I'm so fed up with this disease keeping me from so much! If you need a dry shoulder, as Saysusie has pointed out, crying is cathartic. Getting it off your chest can help too. If you don't want to here, my door is always open...pm me if you want to. I don't know how much I can help, but sometimes we just need someone to listen, and I can do that and would be happy to.

Love ya'll!!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

What a perfect time to start this thread. I totally agree that there is a definite connection between the mind, the body and the spirit and in order to have complete healing, we must heal all three parts.
    I've even heard conjecture that laughter (happiness and well being) can put diseases into a remission. Not sure if that is true, but it is certainly worth putting to the test.
    Today started out as a painful day that was preceded by hurt feelings and betrayal. Reading your post has given me an entirely new perspective for today. I thank you for posting it and I believe that divine intervention was at play here because it is exactly what I needed to hear today!
    So, I'm looking for laughter today!!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

great thread Abbasgirl,

i too believe in the power of laughter. Like you said, if stress and sadness can cause negative effects on our bodies, then why can't laughter cause positive things to happen. I believe in "positive attraction"......and laughter is the best place to start.

We need to always make sure that laughter is a part of our day.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

It is all sooo true..and to the flip side..I believe a very emotional trauma is what triggered my Lupus to begin with. The stress took it's toll and I had the first attack..which by the way was the worst. I cope as best as I can and I am an upbeat person..people that don't really know me have no idea I am sick. I laugh as much as possible...when having a down day I just call one of my sisters, and it's all good. They make me smile no matter what I tell people all of the time.."smile..it's free!"
    Andrea

Thanks

Andrea,
    You are so right. It was the stress of my mother-in-law's passing that triggered enough symptoms in me to get my PCP's attention.
    Also, my teaching job was getting more stressful each year - not because of the kids, but because of the administration and all of the stupid new laws that increased our paperwork and headaches.
    It does help to be resting, relaxing and laughing a bit more now.
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Saysusie...((((Hugs)))) I'm so sorry you were hurt, sweet friend.

Phyllis, you're right...we need to laugh every day. It's just as important as taking our vitamins, medicines, and getting in the exercises we can do.

Andrea, I'm so glad you have such wonderful sisters. What wonderful support! I bet they say the same thing about you.

Marla, that's when my misery kicked in big time, right after we lost a loved one. I have always had health problems off and on in life, but after that I was miserable with so many problems. A doctor finally saw something more was going on, did everything she could for me, and then I got the phone call, "I believe you have lupus and sjogren's syndrome."

Any time the stress levels go up, everything is worse.

So what helps you all smile and laugh? What laughter can we share with each other? The brain fog thread is golden!

I got a joke in email that gave me a chuckle today.

One day my mother was out and my dad was in charge of me.

I was maybe 2 1/2 years old. Someone had given me a little 'tea set' as a gift and it was one of my favorite toys.

Daddy was in the living room engrossed in the evening news. when I brought Daddy a little cup of 'tea', which was just water. After several cups of tea and lots of praise for such yummy tea, my Mom came home.

My Dad made her wait in the living room to watch me bring him a cup of tea, because it was 'just the cutest thing!' My Mom waited, and sure enough, here I come down the hall with a cup of tea for Daddy and she watches him drink it up.

Then she says...

'Did it ever occur to you that the only place she can reach to get water is the toilet?'

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I know that i try to stay positive and take life as it comes because each day is a gift from God. But when my family has falling outs with each other and refuse to talk or be in the same room with each other it affects me physically. That is why i have had so many flares over the summer. But i just have to turn them over to God because i cannot let this do this to me. Stress plays a very important part in how we feel. Bonita

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

OK...Abbasgirl..that was absolutely perfect and made me spit out my tea!! That was hilarious.

Bonita; I know what you mean about family arguing and falling out with one another. This is something I just cannot seem to grasp. I guess that losing a child has taught me that you must value every member of your family and never deny them a moment of your love..they may not be here tomorrow and there is no greater guilt than that of knowing that you last words were words of anger and/or hatred.
    Forgiveness, compassion, understanding are the foremost criteria for me for the rest of my life!
    I do hope that your family finds a way to heal and to love, in the meantime, please come to us so that we can share our love and compassion with you and for you!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Bonita...I will keep you and your family in my good thoughts and prayers, sweetie. Keep protecting yourself from the stress in life. ((((Hugs))))