Thread: Hi,

Thanks

Default Hi,

Im kind of new here, but i was diagnosed 2 years ago with a lupus sle.
    Im pretty sure most of you guys/girls know that this disease is dealing with kidneys.
    my kidneys are still functioning, though my creatine is at a high with a 1.91.
    As of right now i am only on cellcept 500mg 2 times a day.

Okay, a couple questions that i have are...

Is it possible for me to build muscle? In my situation right now i have to eat a lot of protein because i leak a lot during urination.
    I have heard that leaking too much protein can cause me to lose muscle.

And Also what kind of drinks can i drink besides water?

I'm a teenager, 20 years old.

Thanks

So sorry that lupus has attacked your kidneys, capncrunch. I'm relatively new to SLE, so I can't advise you, but just wanted to welome you to the Forum. I'm sure someone with knowledge about the kidneys and protein will come along soon.

Thanks

Welcome...you sound knowledgeable already. Your kidneys are sooo important,don't fool around..ask your MD about the 'safe' drinks.You have to beware of the caffeine in coffee/tea/sodas...sugars in juices... and the salt/electrolytes in "sports" drinks. Water is always the safe way to go...maybe ask about flavored seltzers(watch the sodium content) best of luck.
    Andrea

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

When you ask about building muscles, are you talking about weight lifting or Aerobic exercises?
    We are advised to participate in some form of regular exercise. However, we are cautioned against hard, jarring exercises and lifting excessive weights. This is something that you really need to discuss with your doctor and perhaps a fitness trainer who understands Lupus. There are many ways that you can tone your muscles without aggravating the disease, but building muscles can be tricky with this disease.
    I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi capncrunch, welcome to our group. I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with the complications of lupus at such a young age. I hope you have really wonderful drs. on your team. There are so many members here who have an incredible amount of knowledge, so please feel free to ask questions whenever you need to. Someone is always around to help.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

thank you for all the warm welcoming.

Thanks

Well see, I was told that me eating more protein wasn't helpful due to the fact that I would just spill more of it...I don't see why you wouldn't be able to build muscle...you might be spilling some protein but not all.
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." -MLK, Jr.