Thread: Swollen Knees/Ankles

Thanks

Default Swollen Knees/Ankles

I've just been recently diagnosed with lupus (3 months ago) and initially had joint/muscle pain and raynauds syndrome. I've been taking prednisone and plaquenil for a couple months and haven't had any symptoms. The joint and muscle pain has pretty much went away completely, but over the past week I've noticed some swelling in my knees and ankles. It doesn't feel like the joints are inflammed, but more like they are filled with fluid.

Could this be a symptom of another condition or just normal for lupus? Does this warrant a trip or phone call to the doc? What remedies or preventative measures can I do to reduce the swelling or prevent the swelling in my joints? Aloha and thank you all for your support and patience.. this is new and I'm still learning and have so many questions.

Thanks

Hello
    Feel free to ask your questions away, there are many people here happy to help. Well, about your swelling, it could be one of many things, my opinion would be to get it checked out by your doctor. Swollen ankles could be something to do with your kidneys, but like I said, it could be other things as well. Better to be safe, and just get it checked out.
    Take care, Tammy.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi kilaniwavo, welcome to our family, this is a wonderful group and we range in all ages and we live all over the world. So happy to have you aboard. About the swelling, yes, you should call your dr. Swelling in knees and ankles can be a sign of a kidney problem (common with lupus), but it can also be the lupus itself. It is best to let your dr. know about any changes in your symptoms. When did you start prednisone and plaquenil? My ankles will some days look normal, then i wake the next morning, and they are so swollen, that i can't even see the bone. I have learned that this is normal for me, so i don't worry about it. However, with your diagnosis being so recent, i think it is best to notify your dr..................Again, welcome, and i hope to see you around here very often.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

How interesting to read this.My knees have fluid around n below them and my ankles n elbows too.Not allot but enough to be seen.Yet no doctor has ever said you get it with Lupus...but they say its fibro to me.Now i thought you dont get swellings in fibro.....so im gonna think this is another Lupus symptom yet no doctor has ever told me.Always the fibro card is pulled out and i take celebrex humm? Im sorry you have this too but am interested in this.xxxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Cool

Aloha Kilaniwavo,
    You must be in Hawaii. How I love going there!!
    As others have told you, keep track of new symptoms and report them to your rheumy until you have a good idea of what is "normal" for you.
    Welcome to our WHL family! I for one will love getting an update on how things are going in the islands.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

its most likely dealing with the kidneys because i have it too.
    in the morning i wake up and its all fine, but then when it is at night i feel my ankles and knees swollen.