Thread: Rubber Legs

Thanks

Default Rubber Legs

I read someone's post about vibrations in the legs, but that's not the sensation I'm having and I didn't want to hijack the thread....

That being said, while walking to/from the transit stop today, I had the strangest feeling in my legs. It felt like the upper portion of both legs were kind of rubbery and I had to make a concentrated effort to walk. No tingling. No pain. No feeling of pins and needles, just kinda "off"and it made me aware of walking and the steps I was making.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Good morning bonumom,
    I get sensations like that also. No pain, no buzzing, just as though my body is losing the ability to "feel" them. My ortho thinks it is due to my spondylitis (arthritis in my back) pressing the nerves just right. I find it happens more when I have been doing a lot of bending over or lifting. Rest and remembering to lift and bend correctly and carefully help most of the time.
    Hope it gets better for you!!
    God Bless,
    Deb
    "You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." C.S. Lewis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bunnie View Post
    Good morning bonumom,
    I get sensations like that also. No pain, no buzzing, just as though my body is losing the ability to "feel" them. My ortho thinks it is due to my spondylitis (arthritis in my back) pressing the nerves just right. I find it happens more when I have been doing a lot of bending over or lifting. Rest and remembering to lift and bend correctly and carefully help most of the time.
    Hope it gets better for you!!
    Oh wow. I have just told my new rheumy, that alot of times, I can't feel my arms and hands, that makes me flex my muscles, so can feel them again. I told him, it does not feel like numbness, it feels like they are not there and he looked at me, like I was crazy, with ?????????????? in his eyes.

Debbie

Thanks

Hi debbie,
    I wonder if maybe you have back issues in your upper back? That could explain it. I hope you get to the bottom of it!
    God Bless,
    Deb
    "You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." C.S. Lewis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bunnie View Post
    Hi debbie,
    I wonder if maybe you have back issues in your upper back? That could explain it. I hope you get to the bottom of it!
    Yes I do, I have neck and upper back pain all the time. I will go back to my rheumy on Dec.22 and tell him about. Last week at my first visit with him, we talked about so many symptoms, I can't remember if I have mentioned my upper back pain.

Debbie

Thanks

Those of us with lupus are prone to chronic joint inflammation, even if it is not noticeable as a pain or swelling. When joints swell (especially in the neck and spine), they press on nerves, causing headaches, nausea, and even other pains (I get shooting pains through my upper arms every now and then, and the culprit is my neck). Have you been to a chiropractor? I go once a week which helps to provide relief for these odd pains that are not significant enough for treatment (or notice, even) by your rheumatologist. Granted, he can't do anything for the actual swelling, but just getting everything "put back in place" helps a lot. I was lucky to find a great chiropractor right off the bat. If I had gone to one or two of the substitutes he's had on occasion, I would not have gone back. There are different styles of chiropractic adjustments, but it seems that the younger doctors have the better methods. Also, be sure to avoid the "wacky" chiropractors that think they're "realigning your energy flow" or some-such nonsense. Swollen and irritated joints in your neck and back can press on the spinal cord (that big bundle of nerves that controls your whole body (including your legs!)) and cause all kinds of fun symptoms. I'm really surprised to see so little information out there about how helpful chiropractic care is for those of us with chronic joint inflammation, but then, most of the regular medical community thinks of chiropractors as wackos. I fully believe that my regular chiropractic care is what kept my lupus from being as bad as it could have been, and even now, it helps bring relief.