Thread: methylprednisolone

Thanks

Default methylprednisolone

My dr gave me a short round of methylprednisone in July - I think it was a tapering 8 day thing -

I would love to call him and ask for another round for my current flare -
    do any of you know how often it is safe to do these? I know he would call it in for me, but maybe I should tough it out.

Am going to see a GI dr next week so might aught to wait anyway.

your thoughts?
    much love to all my lupie friends -

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi karenboss......sorry that you are in a flare. I am not familiar with methylprednisone. My dr. has given me shots of medrol, and said i could have 3 (i think) a year. I do not know if this applies to your steroid, but i think it is worth a call to the dr. He/she will know if you can continue to take it. If he can't use the same med, maybe he can prescribe something else. I hope you get some relief.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

I have been on this one for a while now. I alternate 8mg and 20 mg each day. This has also allowed me to lose like 25lbs. I also do not have the extreme mood swings and sleeplessness and such. It is a cousin of prednesone but not as many of the noticed effects.
    Money cannot buy you happiness but it can buy you a big enough boat to allow you to pull up along side it!!! - David Lee Roth

Thanks

Not sure how I didn't see your post before.. and I hope your flare has calmed down by now.. but I thought I'd chime in anyhow. My PCP has given me the methylprednisolone quite frequently... actually for awhile there, before I was Dx'd, I was on a dose-pack at least once a month! He prefers it becuase, like cptnblah said, it's not as harsh as prednisone.

I personally love this med... I feel like gold by day 2 or 3! By the last few days of the pack, I'm back to feeling crappy... not so sure that I'm very happy in the fact that I respond so well to a steroid........ as I don't want to be on them long-term... but, when you're desperate for some relief.. you know.
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
    The courage to change the things I can...
    And the wisdom to know the difference.