Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I HAVE to QUIT SMOKING! HELPPPP

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I quit smoking 3 years ago. I never read Allen Carr's book. I smoked from 18-28 on and off, mostly on, and was raised in a smoking house household where I was exposed to 2nd hand smoke daily from ages 3-13. My mom used Chantrax to quit smoking but it gave her really bad nightmares.
    I had quit smoking both (short term) successively and unsuccessfully multiple times. This time my final straw was that I kept getting sick, would stop smoking while sick, get better, start smoking again and get sick again. It was a cycle I got tired off. I had tried cold turkey before with mixed success. This time, I had a step down program that I used. I started with a quit date, gave myself at least 2 weeks to mentally prepare for it. Decided that I wouldn't be able to buy a pack after that day. I also decided that if I did want a smoke, it could only be when I was out with friends or out at the bar (that was the #1 place/time I used to smoke) and only if I was able to bum one off of someone. I chewed lots and lots and lots of gum in the car. Within a few months, I was down to smoking once a month or less at that point, I just didn't enjoy the taste or smell anymore. Now, it grosses me out when I smell other people's cigarettes, even if they aren't immediately next to me. I wish I had known about that book that SirLupAllot recommended. I probably would have quit sooner. Feel free to PM me if you need some venting or support while you are quitting. Give yourself time to adjust to the new change. Your body will be loving you very soon. It will be easier to breathe and things will taste delicious again.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

WOO HOO Sandy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Thanks

Kudos to all of you that have stopped smoking! My parents both smoked. My mom quit at age 62, on my eldest son's birthday, after starting in her teens. My dad, who just turned 70 (a surprise since he's been a heavy smoker since age 14), still smokes like a chimney although he's on oxygen for emphysema and had a cancerous lump removed from his right lung last year.

My mom said it's wonderful to actually have taste buds again. She used the patch for nearly a year (tapering the "dose" and frequency of changing the patches). She still coughs up phlegm in the morning, but she says that's nothing compared to all the coughing she did while smoking.

My dad can only smoke outside or in the garage and forbidden to smoke in the car (I'm so proud of her for putting her foot down).

Keep up the good work and keep the "end" in mind!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I really want to quit! I was told by my doctors I need to quit but I need to wait until this flare is somewhat under control. The success rate would be higher I guess. makes sense in that if I am in pain I smoke more than when I am not. So once this flare is under control I AM QUITING!!!!! CAN'T WAIT!
    Dx. SLE June 2009

♪ Jen ♪

Thanks

Smile

Smoker'scat,
    Keep us updated - I'm looking forward to the day that we can start calling you Catlover, not Smoker'scat.
    Marla