Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a vent session :)

Thanks

Default Just a vent session :)

hey guys,

I am at home by myself bored and sick with the flu, so I needed to vent a little. Not really anything bad, just need to talk.

I am just now getting over the flu, which is why I haven't been on here much lately. It hit me pretty hard. Today I'm FINALLY fever-free!
    The thing I really wanna talk about is this upcoming weekend. Well all the problems started tuesday. My husband woke up to go to work, and his car wouldn't start. Instead of waking me up to drive him (I drive a stick and he can't drive it) he just walked. It's only a mile to work, but I still don't like him walking it because there's really no shoulder. That wasn't the issue though. I was happy he let me sleep. The problem is his car won't start. It's either the battery or the starter. Which is really frustrating because it's been raining here so much the past two days and I"m kinda afraid to mess with the battery in the rain. I have a huge fear of being shocked by electricity crazy, I know, but that's how I am. Anyway, This saturday is my husband's birthday, and we're supposed to go spend the weekend with his family in New Orleans/Baton Rouge area. It's a five hour drive from here. I'm excited about getting to go spend time with them. There are just a few concerns I have. I am still having A LOT of pain in my back and legs from the herniated disc, and if we don't get my husband's car fixed today, then I'll have to drive us down there. Sitting is really difficult for me because it puts a lot of pressure on my back, and driving a stick-shift works my legs an awful lot which also causes more pain. I don't like to drive at night because I have epilepsy, and even though I haven't had a seizure in over a year, it's still a worry for me to drive very far at night. So, if his car isn't fixed, I will already be causing him to miss part of the birthday celebration because we couldn't leave until 6pm friday, and it would be dark so we couldn't drive down there then. (we're supposed to see a movie with his family friday night) so I'll be pushing the trip to Saturday (his birthday) and I hate driving and I'll be hurting a lot for sure from the drive, then we'll have to go to the restaurant and walk AT LEAST 2 blocks, and it's very difficult for me to even walk to the bathroom sometimes, so this is going to be difficult. Also, then we're supposed to go to bourbon street for drinks and walk around...more walking. My husband makes my life, and especially my birthdays very special. He tries so hard everyday just to please me. It's his birthday, and I want it to be special for him. His family knows I have lupus, but they don't really know what all comes along with it. I always put on my "healthy" mask, as I'm sure many of you have done, for his family. They are the ones that picked out what we're doing for his birthday. I kinda wish they'd picked something with a little less walking, but I'll manage. I just don't have anymore pain medicine, hopefully when I call the doctor tomorrow he'll refill it for me until I can get in the free clinic for the mri. I just really needed to vent about how I am going to deal with the pain this weekend. because I don't want to be the rain on my husband's birthday parade. He would understand, I know he would...but for once I want my health not to affect his plans for something, especially on his birthday.

Okay, I guess I'm done venting now. Just needed to talk it out a little. Now I'm gonna go take a nap before I have to pick him up from work, because even though I'm fever-free, I still don't feel like myself. But rest will help that.

I hope everyone has a great weekend! oh and please don't mind the smilies, I just discovered the "more" button! So I had some fun with them.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

You can hook up jumper cables safely in the rain, just be sure to keep your hands away from the metal part of the clamps. Make sure you hook it up properly, if you don't know how, let me know, and I'll tell you exactly how to do it safely. If it's the battery, you'll be able to get it started. If it's not, then it's the starter and there's nothing you can do about it without replacing parts, and taking it in for the repairs.

Sorry you are sick with the flu, I have been too. I was up all night last night sweating and then freezing. My temp was 101. I was able to eat today and keep it down. Been taking tylenol to keep the fever down. I think I'm over the worst, as I'm no longer sick to my stomach.

I know about the "healthy mask". I do the same thing. I hope you and the hubby can enjoy bourbon street. It's raining like hell here too. Kinda puts a damper on everything.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

"You can hook up jumper cables safely in the rain, just be sure to keep your hands away from the metal part of the clamps. Make sure you hook it up properly, if you don't know how, let me know, and I'll tell you exactly how to do it safely. If it's the battery, you'll be able to get it started. If it's not, then it's the starter and there's nothing you can do about it without replacing parts, and taking it in for the repairs."

I've used jumper cables in the rain more then once. It is painless if you keep your hands away from the metal (you shouldn't touch it without the rain anyway). Also, if it's not the battery, check your fuses. My car died once b/c of a bad fuse. It died another time b/c there was a recall on the selenoid coil that I didn't know about so a recall could be a fourth option.

I am sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. It sounds like your DH might be learning to drive stick the same way I did - out of sheer necessity. It's amazing what we can learn to do when we know that we really need to get that thing done. I hope you rest up tomorrow and that all works out for you. A weekend in NOLA sounds fabulous. I haven't yet been there but it's long been on my top 10 places in the US to see list.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi adl011, so sorry to hear about the car problems. Hope it is just the battery. ........... I have been in similar traveling situations, and i just take my chances. I am very familiar with bourbon street, and it would frighten me to think about walking that much, so i understand your concern. Also, the drive...oh, that will be tough. When i am faced with this situation, i make sure that i have my pain meds, and plenty of pillows so that i can prop a lot of softness around me when i sleep. I take my pain med at night so that i sleep and also during the day if necessary. I know you want to do this for your husband, and i hope it does not cause you any problems. Sounds like a wonderful trip, hope the car is ok so that it will be easier on you. Oh, i used to be the safety director over a plant in Bastrop, which is close to Monroe.....thought these might be close to you.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Okay, update. It's not the battery, or starter, and it has gas in it. Now we're trying the spark plugs, but we don't have a socket long enough, so we'll have to go get one. It's a little frustrating but it's okay. Hopefully we'll figure it out tonight, so we can go tomorrow and not have to wait til Saturday. I'm having to rest now because it's been hell on my back standing out there and trying to figure it out. and pulling and tugging on the different car parts. So after a quick break we'll go to the hardware store.

Thanks for the advice guys!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adl011 View Post
    Okay, update. It's not the battery, or starter, and it has gas in it. Now we're trying the spark plugs, but we don't have a socket long enough, so we'll have to go get one. It's a little frustrating but it's okay. Hopefully we'll figure it out tonight, so we can go tomorrow and not have to wait til Saturday. I'm having to rest now because it's been hell on my back standing out there and trying to figure it out. and pulling and tugging on the different car parts. So after a quick break we'll go to the hardware store.

Thanks for the advice guys!
    So it turns over, but doesn't start? What kind of car is it?

Thanks

So much on your plate right now and the last thing you need to worry about is car problems.

I am glad to hear you're feeling better, as far as the flu goes. Even without the H1N1 stuff, it seems like it's going to be a bad flu season.

It's tough being a passenger in a car for 5 hours, much less being the driver, and a stick at that! Thankfully, I learned to drive on a manual, so there's never an excuse for me not being able to get behind the wheel, but sometimes I just don't wanna.

I hope you get your car fixed and DH can drive. I'm sure he'll be very happy just having you at his side and sharing his special day with he and his family. The wellness mask gets taken out quite a bit with us lupies, but sometimes, you just have to leave that old thing on the shelf.

Thanks

Hi Amanda,
    I was wondering why we hadn't heard from you lately. I hope that you're feeling better and that you get to celebrate the hubby's birthday. Cars can really be frustrating!
    Don't try to do too much and make your back worse. You really don't need that!
    I'm supposed to make an appt. for my MRI, but I might put it off 'til the new year. The insurance that we have now would make us pay part of it. We're changing to Blue Cross/Blue Shield for the new year, and they have much better coverage. Meanwhile, Jeff's stretching exercises are helping my back.
    Have a great weekend!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Its always something huh! IM so HAPPY you are feeling BETTER though!!! THAT deserves a WOO HOO! Hope you have the weekend you want and the car gets its act together!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Blog Entries
    Thanks

so what did the mechanic say?
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.