Thread: Sunshine..

Thanks

Default Sunshine..

Do many of you get depressed that you are unable to do things out in the sun? Boating, skiing, swimming, gardening? Are there ways around any of it? Did not being able to do these things cause you a great deal of stress and sadness? Any positives besides no skin cancer =)

Thanks

Hi JennyJo
    Well, here in Melbourne, summer is just around the corner. It does make me sad to know that I can no longer sit in the sun, and head out to the beach from morning till night. Last summer though, I got myself a long sleeve rash vest, and one of those little beach huts, and when we did go out to the beach, we would go on the really hot days, but get there at around 4.30 in the afternoon. We still had at least 4 hours worth of day light, but the sun would be at at weakest. Having young children, it's kind of hard to always avoid the sun. I make sure that i'm totally covered up, with sunblock applied to any part of me that isn't. I now have a huge collection of the long sleeve rash vests, even if I take the kids to the park, i've got one on. They are light, and keep you cool, and at the same time have UV protection. They cover the neck, and all the way down to the wrists. I wear a cap, sunglasses, and long baggie trackies with thongs. (FLIP FLOPS) I even sunscreen my feet and toes. Thankfully, i've always avoided the sun rash, but I have to say, I am very sun smart. I think you can still continue to enjoy the warm weather if you just change a few simple things. Always try to find shaded areas, don't use sun screen, use sun block, I really recommend the rash vests, i'm not sure if you guys have a different name for them in the states, but it's the tops that the surfies wear, it's not a full body suit, just covers your top half. I even wear that when taking my son to school. I've learned not to worry about what others think of me, because i'm constantly covered up. At the start I was paranoid as to everybody looking at me, because they would all be in singlets and short shorts, and i'd be all covered up like i'm too afraid to show any skin. I don't care anymore, now I just put my health first, and do what needs to be done. I really try not to let the sun ruin my summer, and I think i'm winning. Plus, on those hot summer nights, out come my short shorts, and singlet tops. We like taking the kids out for ice cream, and walk along the beach. At least my summer clothes can still be worn. Hot summer nights, can be just as fun, as a hot summers day. And don't forget that if the sun brings on fatigue, to try and keep away when at peak. Between 12.00am, and 3.00pm are the worst times to be out in the sun.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi JennyJo
    I was told no sun as well...I live in S. Cali...Los Angeles and it is just about sunny and nice year round for the most part. With that said...I love the sun and Spring/Summer are my favorite season's and have been all my life. I have noticed that I had a bad flare a few days after sitting in the sun during my cousin's wedding in July. I had on sunscreen but no big hat or sunglass as I should have and perhaps even an SPF 75 would have helped per my doctor. My doctor told me that there are clothes that are for sunblock and I looked it up..Pricey and not all that cute. I still go out in the sun but I just try to make sure I have on a hat, sunglasses and long sleeves. Recently having worn shorts/dress both my mom commented on how pale my legs are and I am African-American brown girl so the contrast must have been starch for them to comment. I really think it depends on your body as is the case for Lupus symptons...they are individual for the most part. You really shouldn't be in the sun...I even have a Dr. note/cert for tint on my front windows (illegal in California) due to Lupus so it is vital to stay clear/protect yourself.

Thanks

Smile the sun

hi jenny jo yes not going in the sun does make me depressed i feel like a hermit especially in summer months i live in sydney australia and it gets hot i love to fish and swim but have to restrict swimming to indoor pools now and if i want to fish i have to do that in the evenings i know it gets you down but what are the alternatives you need a hat and suncreen and cover up as much as possible. it would be worse to go into flare up i did this the other day thought because it was early in the morning i could get away with it for 10 minutes but breathing became heavy had rash on arms and face not bad but noticable and i started vomiting and joints ached all day would rather stay inside than go through that again we just have to learn to work around this disease we cannot let it take over our lives there is more to us than just lupus but also just have to be cautious you will work whats best for you in time and you will adjust be well and happy kim l

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi jennyjo, i love summer water sports. I can not tell you how hard it is for me to sit and watch others enjoying every aspect of a hot summer day on the lake. I used to water ski almost every day, i have not skied in 13 years, and i still get depressed about it.
    Phyllis

share a smile today