Thread: Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG)

Thanks

Default Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG)

My PCP mentioned Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) treatment as an alternative to steroid therapy. Has anyone gone through IVIG? Side effects? Did it help? Please let me know.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi charlie, No, I have not heard of IVIG, and i have not seen it mentioned here on the forum. Please keep us posted on what you decide, and how it works. Thanks for introducing another treatment option.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

wow that is the treatment of choice for CIDP(look it up I dont want to explain what cidp is lol). there is plasma exchange that is like dialasis. it removes the mischeivieous plasma that contains protiens causing the havoc and replaces your blood with sterile human albumin so your body can make more protiens. IVIG is different it is made from a combination of 20,000 plasma donors and is infused over a 6 hour period roughly 4 days in a row for so many months ( only 4 days in a month). it acts like a distraction for the bad antibodies. hey over here leave him alone come and get us. wow give it a try it is a pain in the ass but i think it is healthier than some other stuff. it is also very expensve like 10,000k per treatment. if your GP can justify its need to the ins co then give it a try, I would like to know how it works for lupus. I am having a hard time convincing any doctor to give it to me because that would have tp come with a definitive CIDP DX and I think that disease so rare and hard to pin down that they want to wait til I am fully parylized or something. fyi I heard somewhere that IVIG is even beneficial to the prevention of alzheimers. let me know how it goes. write me a personal message I am very interested.