Thread: If they only knew...

Thanks

Default If they only knew...

I know I'm taking this more personally than I should, and so this is just a vent. But I'm SO annoyed right now!!!!

One of my friends at work was laughing at me because she caught me eating "My Pretty Pony" fruit snacks. Yes, the snacks most appropriate for kids around the age of 6! What can I say, I love gummy, chewy candy, and these were on sale this week. But she made a comment how no one at work would believe I eat them, because they all think I'm so serious.

Maybe I do need to lighten up and not be so serious, but it's who I am! I'm not one of those Barbie doll young types who have a zillion things to look forward to and are out partying every night. If they lived my life for just a day, they would realize that some days it's just not easy to laugh. Life is beautiful, but it is hard sometimes. I do try, I do look on the positive side of life and I'm eternally grateful for all I have and all I am able to do. But living every day with lupus, Sjogren's, and everything else sort of took away my carefree lifestyle years ago. Living with chronic illnesses for which there is no cure kind of takes that from you, ya know?

So I don't know...do I try to be more like them? I don't think I could if I tried. I do get along with most of them well, and I started a "You've been ghosted" chain yesterday, although no one knows it's me.

I guess I just needed to vent about this...thanks for being here.
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

NO WAY!!! You stay as you are.The plan is tomorrow at lunch....sit there with a babies dummy in your mouth and act normal.Just sit there and be yourself.I eat the chewy dummies,like a wine gum but in the shape of a dummy.You have a laugh.Never worry about yourself,you are fine as you are.Nothing wrong with you at all my friend.Oh what a laugh you would get if you did it...sooooooo funny.You enjoy what you eat,dont ever change and as the person who laughed at you.......get a life i say to her

Love Amanda.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi cheryl, i find that the daily frustrations and struggles of living with lupus seem to sometimes suck the carefree fun out of my life. Always being fatigued, in pain, taking meds, going to drs., etc. have also changed me. It is a shame that we no longer can find laughter at the little jokes, etc., but that is a reality. Don't try to be anything different that what you are.....enjoy your "little pony" fruit snacks, and don't let anyone make you think you should change.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Brandichi,

I'm a 41 year old man who has a room full of Star Wars toys, Legos, toy trains, all sorts of "kid" stuff. If people think I'm weird, that's OK, because I am, and I don't care. Collecting old toys helps me to escape from all the stuff that comes with living with a chronic illness.

You be yourself, and don't change a single thing. My carefree lifestyle went away too. Things are more serious for us because we deal with daily things that can have drastic effects on our health. If people think we are "too serious" because we don't want to let Lupus gain a foothold and destroy us, then so be it. And remember, It's never a bad thing to be yourself.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 10-13-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You eat those ponies tomorrow and when Miss Smart Comments comes along say, "Don't you think being able to relate to our students on multiple levels is what makes us better teachers than those who don't take the time or make the effort to do so?" Watch her jaw drop as you pop a pony in her mouth.

And even if you don't do that, know that we all love you and understand you and relate to you. I still would rather jump in the puddles then walk around them (as long as I am wearing my wellies ) but when it comes to work I am all business and am there to get the job done, after all, no one there is paying my bills but me.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

You know what?? I've discovered there is no such thing as 'Normal"!!! We all have our little idiosyncrasies!! They are what make life fun, and interesting. Goll, if we were all alike how boring that would be. Frankly, I love those little betty crocker fruit snacks. I buy em for my kids (who are 8 and 6), but my husband and I can both be found eating them after the kids are in bed!! YUM! You have to enjoy the little things in life, my friend!! Don't let someone who is stuck with stereotypes bring you down..... you find joy where you can find it. I love that you started a "ghosting" line!!
    Don't try to be anyone else: God made you perfect just the way you are!!
    God Bless,
    Deb
    Ps: I am a chocolat milk addict! When I have had a bad day,, I need to take my pain meds with my chocomilk!!! (oohh, how childish of me!!)
    God Bless,
    Deb
    "You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." C.S. Lewis

Thanks

Hey guys,

I have spent the last hour catching up on all the posts. You don't go online for a week and HOLY CRAP! I am reading as fast as I can!

Brandichi, you go on and enjoy your fruity ponies! There is nothing better in life than the little things. I truly believe that having the health issuses we have makes us all the more grateful for those little things. This person would never savor that snack the way that you will, so take comfort in that.

Rob, just wanted to tell you that you ALWAYS make me laugh...I am so glad that you collect your toys and "don't care" what others think. Honestly that is my personal philosophy.

Samo

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samo View Post
    Hey guys,

I have spent the last hour catching up on all the posts. You don't go online for a week and HOLY CRAP! I am reading as fast as I can!

Brandichi, you go on and enjoy your fruity ponies! There is nothing better in life than the little things. I truly believe that having the health issuses we have makes us all the more grateful for those little things. This person would never savor that snack the way that you will, so take comfort in that.

Rob, just wanted to tell you that you ALWAYS make me laugh...I am so glad that you collect your toys and "don't care" what others think. Honestly that is my personal philosophy.

Samo
    Samo,

The first job I ever had was when I was 14. I worked at a duty free shop on the border here between Maine and New Brunswick, Canada. My boss, was a man I have deep respect for, and who I still keep in contact with to this day. When I quit that job to go to technical school, he told me he always respected me because I never went along with the crowd. His words, and the independent values instilled in me by my parents, are something I am thankful for every day. Not long ago, I was over at my parents house, helping them out with a few things, and my Mom didn't agree with my methods. I told her firmly that I have my own way of doing things. She asked me where the heck I got my independent, and somtimes stubborn nature from. I look over at my Dad, and he's just shaking his head smiling when he says-Patricia, he got it from us. Too funny.

Brandichi,

How is everything going with you today? I understand your frustration. I hope all is well with you. Say hello, and let us know how you are when you get a chance.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 10-14-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Not long ago, I was over at my parents house, helping them out with a few things, and my Mom didn't agree with my methods. I told her firmly that I have my own way of doing things.
    My ex used to tell me that his way was the "right" way (understand why we divorced?). My belief is that there's more than one way to skin a cat (don't mean to offend, just an old saying my dad had). Life just wouldn't be as much fun/interesting if there was only one way to do something. Making a better widget; devising a system that performs better; designing something besides one pair of britches and a top; they allow us to express our creativity and individuality.

One of my favorite ways to blow off steam is to go to a park and "play" in the swings. I love pumping my legs, feeling the breeze on my face, laying back with my arms extended. Oh, and the important dismount (the challenge is not being filmed for America's Funniest Videos). Childish perhaps, but I love it!

If you enjoy your tooty fruity snacks that bring a smile to your face and makes your tummy happy, whose business is it? It irritates the heck out of me when people feel the need to comment on something--everything--that others are doing/eating/wearing. We're individuals for crying out loud.

Like the bumper sticker says, "Mean (insert: Rude) People Suck."
    Last edited by BonusMom; 10-14-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks

AWWWW, Cheryl, I LOVE YOU for YOU!!!!! Ive SLOWED way down too! It is what it is. WE cant be what we used to, if others dont like it then THEY dont DESERVE US!!!!!!! YOU are SPECIAL in SO MANY WAYS!! YOU DONT HAVE to be ANYTHING you dont WANT to be or FEEL you SHOULD be! Ive lost many "friends" due to this illness BUT obviously they WERENT a friend in the first palce.

YOU ENJOY YOUR GUMMIES!!!! I LOVE THEM TOO!!!!! YUMMMMMYYYYY!!!!!!! I get organic ones now cuz the ingredients in the others flare me BUT they are still YUMMMMYYYY!!!! I DO miss the originals sometimes though!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette