Thread: Medications for IBS

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Medications for IBS

Okay...so I've tried Levsin, questran, and ot stuff. The GI doc put me on Librax 3 x a day each time 30 minutes before meals. Also 1 tsp metamucil in no more than 4 oz of water every morning and at night. And it seemed to be going pretty well although I noticed it wasn't drying me out as bad as I had expected it would.

I had a nasty attack day before yesterday right out of the blue. I didn't get to talk to the GI nurse until yesterday after hubby called twice angry. She told me to take the librax as I have been but to include a dose right before bedtime. She suggested levsin but I reminded her the doc and I talked about how that doesn't help and also increases my head pain. She said I can take OT stuff to help with the attacks but wow, when I did that I thought I was going to pass out. It felt like my body had no fluid in it at all!

She said there's not much else that can be prescribed for me other than to take an extra librax at bedtime. I asked her to clarify that for me and she did mean exactly that... librax is the end of the road of the meds I can try for this problem.

Anyone know differently? Because in this day and age, surely there's something else I can try. There can't be only 3 prescribed drugs in the world for ibs. I'm willing to give librax another week or so but if it doesn't help I guess I'll have to go back to the nasty questran which helped with the ibs but saps my body of vitamins nutrients I need.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I wish I had some good news for you, but I am in the same boat as you. I finally stopped taking all prescribed meds and use OTC IBS meds which, as you mentioned, sap all of the fluids from my body and (I'm sure) depletes my potassium.
    We are darned if we do, darned if we don't. IBS is a constant struggle, weather you are dealing with constipation or diarrhea or a combination of both (as I am). Doctors do very little to really help and I just couldn't bear the drugs any longer. I may be doing more damage to myself, but so far my regimin is working for me!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Oh i hope you ease soon.I take Copermil, little blue capsules with peppermint oil inside.Seems to help,not totally but do help.xx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Living near a bathroom really sucks! And I absolutely hate the painful cramping!

Saysusie...I made that decision yesterday...I just said the heck with it and went back to what was working. It wasn't working great but it was better than anything else I've tried over the years. Questran sucks my body dry but at least I wasn't having to live like I have been lately. I am on the mend and turning into a walking desert.

I'm wondering if drinking the barium last month has anything to do with this being worse lately or if it really is a change in the medication for this specifically. Ugh, I used to love a good mystery...now I just hate em'! Well, I figure SOMETHING is going on right now so maybe once I get leveled out and things calm back down, then I can maybe give this a try again. Maybe. I don't know. This ain't a monster that's so easy to calm down once it's angry.

I don't get it. Why can't I just take metamucil, make sure I get in the exercise I can tolerate, and eat a healthy diet and be okay?! Why do I have to take medicine for this too??!! I even tried probiotics and prebiotics....this is going to drive me insane!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I know exactly what you mean. I envy people who can pass by rest stops and gas stations without having to make that run. And, yes, the cramping and pain are incessant!!!
    As I mentioned, I know that I am dehydrated most of the time..but to me, that is better than the alternative.
    There are no easy answers to our questions...we just do the best that we can

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Exactly!

All we can do is what we can do.

Today I woke up, did a little rocking, waiting for things to settle down, decide on what it wanted to do or not do...and it took less time for it to decide for a change. I had a more peaceful morning today, thank You Jesus! I hate those "violent" beginnings. Especially at 4 am!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes, thank goodness for small blessings!! It's funny how little things are big things to us!!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie