Thread: Fun last night, but paid in pain

Thanks

Default Fun last night, but paid in pain

Hello all,
    I had so much fun yesterday evening. I went to a meeting of the NPS Officers' Wives Club. It was a ghost walk through the main hall of the school, called Herrmann Hall. The building was originally The Del Monte Hotel, built in the late 1800s, so it has lots of creepy stories. Admiral Herrmann himself committed suicide there after establishing the post-graduate school in Monterey. I'm not a believer in ghost stories, but I really enjoyed the tour of the lovely old building and learning about its history. I managed to limp along on most of the tour, except that I wasn't able to climb the narrow, winding stairs to the tower, and so I missed out on what is supposed to be one of the best views of the bay - oh, well.
    I paid for my fun the rest of the night. Both of my knees locked up and gave me horrendous pain all night. I couldn't sleep most of the night, and I tossed and turned so much that I'm surprised that Jeff could sleep through it.
    I'll be meeting my new rheumy tomorrow. Boy, am I going to have a lot of information for her! I sure hope that she has some ideas to help me. The MTX has helped me with the fatigue and some other symptoms, but my joints and muscles still make it so hard for me to get around and do the things that I want to do. It's a pain to have a burst of energy and to feel totally normal, only to have the knees spasm and "give out" just when you've started to do something that you really wanted to do. I don't know whether these are the symptoms of RA, or if I still have AVN. I'm really hoping that the rheumy knows of a good orthopedic surgeon, and that they can actually work as a team to figure it out.
    Is that too much to ask?
    Recovering from my fun evening out,
    Marla

Thanks

Marla,

I totally understand the "having fun now, and paying in pain later" thing. I do that a lot when it comes to my nephews. Actually, I'll be doing it on Saturday. My nephew is turning 5 and is having a skating party (roller blades) and he wants "Aunt Manda to teach him to skate" . Apparently Mom (my sister) won't do. It has to be me, so I'll get my stiff self out on skates (I used to be able to skate really well until the arthritis and lupus and fibro pain got too bad) and will most definitely pay for it Sat. night, Sunday, Monday...and so on. But it's so worth it to have a little fun and just forget about the illness, even if only for a brief moment. It's never too much to ask to enjoy life, sometimes we just have to find other ways to enjoy it, push through the pain, or pay for it later. I'm glad you had fun, and I'm sorry you're paying such a high price for it. I'm just keeping my faith up that there will be a cure soon, and we will ALL party-hearty

Have a great week,

Amanda

Blog Entries
    Thanks

marla, the tour of the school sounds really interesting....i would imagine that you saw some gorgeous architural elements that we don't see today. Like everyone else, i know what you mean about doing something that you know will have ramifications of painful days and nights. I have also made that decision to go for it knowing that i would pay, but sometimes the pain is worth it....otherwise, we sit and watch life go by. Good luck with your new rheumy tomorrow...let us know how it goes.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Marla
    that sounds like a fun night out. i end up paying for too much activity with my joints for a day or more at a time. it's nice being able to plan for it (like the weekend of the 17th and 18th for me) but it's not so nice paying for the playing. I hope you are feeling better.
    Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.