Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pinched nerve/herniated disc???

Thanks

They'll only do a payment plan after we pay the $900 up front. They said too many people don't pay so they won't let me do the payment plan unless I pay 70% down first. The total cost is almost $1500, but it's okay, hopefully I'll get in at the free clinic.

Thanks

Hang in there, Amanda. I really hope that we can both get through this without surgery. Ouch - the very idea of anybody messing with my spine gives me the creeps. Ask if there are non-surgical things that can be tried first, like physical therapy.
    I'm still waiting to hear from my doc, and she is probably having a rough time with Aetna - they are so hateful!
    Meanwhile, Jeff gave me a book called Yoga for Wimps. It has some gentle exercises specifically for lower back pain, so I'm trying those. I actually felt like going for a walk today, and walked down the block and back.
    Keep us informed.
    Gentle Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

HI AMANDA!!!! SO SORRY for the PAIN you have been going through! UGH! I have had the same symptoms for quite a while,i went to the chiro and she had an MRI done on my back and she couldnt believe i have been walking around with the problem she found! I have a broken L5 and my disc is completely worn away so im grinding bone on bone! OUCH! This problem has been pinching nerves as well. She really doesnt want me to have surgery because it COULD make things WORSE. BACK surgery is VERY UNTRUSTWORTHY. She said i could get cortizone shots for the pain and discomfort BUt that only MASKS the pain and i could do MORE damage if i DONT FEEL the pain and im moving around in ways to worsen the problem. I have been to a accupuncturist and OMG that is the BEST MEDICINE for it BUT its very expensive and is not covered. I go only here and there, which does help, i also STRETCH EVERY DAY!!!!! THAT HELPS MORE THAN YOU WOULD THINK. I work out then i stretch specifically for my injury. I also have special back support pillows for my legs when im laying down or sitting to even out my spine so theres NO PRESSURE. I WILL NOT get surgery. I also eat lots of fiber daily, this helps to keep my stomach less full and not bloated BECAUSE THAT contributes to the back pain.

GOOD LUCK!! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Thanks

Default Update

Okay, so Friday I went to the local charity hospital (about an hour away) and we knew it would take a while, so I was prepared to wait. We ended up being there for about 12 hours. I got to see a REALLY good doctor who actually just recovered from having surgery for a herniated disc. They did an x-ray, but they don't do mri's in the ER they schedule appointments for them, since they do free work. I have an mri scheduled for Dec. 18th at 7 am, so that's not too long. The catch is, unless it shows that whatever is wrong is an absolute emergency, I have to wait til Feb. 1st to actually see a doctor about it. they said I can get the mri sent to my local GP but he would charge at least $100 for the office visit, so I guess it just depends on how bad I'm hurting. Also, because the ER is a charity hospital, they won't give out pain med prescriptions because people will come in just to get drugs. I hate that people exploit things like that so people who really need it have to suffer. So I called my GP today to ask for a script, and his nurse said I'd probably have to come in to get it. I would have to pay $100 just to walk in there, and we really don't have the money for me to go. I really just hope he'll give me the script since he's seen me for this already. I just want enough to help me get through until the mri on the 18th. The ER doctor also gave me some exercises to do on a peanut-shaped exercise ball. He said it will help, but I will NEED some narcotic pain medicine just to get through the exercises. I've been numbing my back with ice almost constantly just to deal with the pain. He wasn't lying either. I tried to do the exercises last night, and tears were just pouring down my face. My wonderful husband actually made me stop because he couldn't stand seeing me in that much pain anymore. I love him so much. He's been great through all of this. A true Blessing from GOD! So now, I'm just waiting to hear back from my GP. Hopefully he'll give me some meds.

I hope everyone is feeling okay and has a GREAT thanksgiving break.

~Amanda

Thanks

Hi Amanda,
    I've been hoping for an update from you. I'm so glad that things are finally going forward for you. Have you tried some gentle yoga stretches? Is that the kind of exercises that the doc gave you to do?
    About a week ago, I made the mistake of scrubbing my couch and chairs, and then when I leaned over to switch my laundry from washer to dryer, my back "froze". I managed to limp to my bed, and painfully assumed "the child's pose". That gentle stretching hurt so bad that I cried, but after a while, it started stretching enough that it didn't hurt as bad. I took both naproxen and some lobelia with my tea that night, and I still had a rough night, but my back was better the next day.
    I'm waiting 'til February, too. We switched our insurance during open season, but the new one won't start 'til Jan. 1. I'll be in Arkansas meeting my new grandson until Jan 11, so my rheumy gave me an appt. for Feb 16. That's when she'll write new orders for an MRI.
    So, it looks like we're both still on the same schedule with this thing!
    Keep me updated on how it goes for you. Good luck, and keep trying (gently) on those exercises.
    Gentle Hugs,
    Marla