Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suddenly lactose intolerant?!

Thanks

Default Suddenly lactose intolerant?!

Is this a lupus thing or a Cheryl-is-weird thing???? For the last week or so, I've had problems after drinking my usual glass of milk in the morning with breakfast. I have to get to the restroom QUICKLY, and have bloating/pain for most of the day. The only other possibility is I've had a cold for over a week, but it's mostly just been sneezing, runny nose, headache, and sore throat, not involving stomach issues. When I was a teenager, I couldn't drink milk, but starting in my 20's, I've had no problem with it.

Have any of you ever had something like this happen? Could it be related to lupus/Sjogren's? I miss my morning milk!!!!!!!
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Oh Cheryl,

I hope you feel better soon.Yes i think its Lupus.I also over the last 2 years have become more allergic to food,meds,lotions where before i had no problems.Maybe speak to your doctor about this.I know Dairy products can bloat you sometimes.I hope you get to drink your milk again,bloat free.Just rest and let your doc know.Love to you n Brandi.xxxxxxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

my system continues to become sensitive to foods, smells, sounds, lights, etc...don't know if it is lupus or mtx, but it is happening.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

I don't know, what it is, I have been enjoying milk my entire life and I could eat anything I wanted, I had what I call a " cowstomach".
    Now I am having problems with milk, I too get cramps, bloating and diarhea. But also some foods, like fresh fruit, candy or vegetables, will sometimes just tear up my guts. It might be lupus related.

Debbie

Thanks

Ugh, so lupus strikes again. I'm sorry you all are going through it too, but well, at least we can whine about it together.

I have my 3 month appt. with my rheumy tomorrow afternoon, so I'll add this to the list of things to ask her about. And she's going to be soooo mad at me!! I went back on Plaquenil after she told me to stop taking it, and I tried but couldn't handle taking Evoxac because I kept falling. I am in so much trouble...
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Cheryl,

If the Plaquenil is helping you more than the other you do it.She needs to find you a better med to help you.Hope your appointment goes ok.Let me know.

Love n hugs
    Amanda.xxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have been lactose intolerant for 12 years. It was pretty much a one-day--I-wasn't and the next day I was kind of thing. Except it took me over a year to connect the dots. One way the doc diagnosed me - put me on a 100% lactose free diet for 2 weeks and then see what happens when you go back to it. He also told me that human beings are, evolutionarily speaking, supposed to be lactose intolerant adults since we are mammals and all other mammals wean off milk in youth. If you are lactose intolerant, take heart, it might only be with certain products (like cheese and not ice cream) and the lactaid pills have come a long way in helping with the dairy.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I discovered my lactose intolerance in pretty much the same way as you and Sandy R. One day I drank a glass of milk and the cramping, bloating, mucous and bathroom run started immediately. I refused to believe that I could no longer drink milk (my favorite beverage) and drank a large glass full the next night with even worse symptoms.
    I am not sure if it is Lupus related or not, but it is not unusual for the intolerance to appear over night!
    I hope you feel better soon.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

My second daughter, Hillary, was terribly lactose intolerant as a young child. She did fine on Mommy's milk, but couldn't handle cow's milk. Duh - cow's milk is for cows, right?
    She "outgrew" it and was fine with milk and dairy products as a teen and young woman. Now she is 30 and the lactose intolerance re-appeared overnight. She is also having problems with poly-cystic ovarian syndrome and was told that she is pre-diabetic. I think that AI is once again raising its ugly head in our family!
    Marla

Thanks

I think it's lupus-related too. I only have trouble with milk when I'm in a flare, not just milk though, pretty much ALL dairy. I drink soy milk now all the time, just because you never really know when it's gonna hit you, and it's NOT fun dealing with lactose intolerance issues. I hope you feel better soon. I would recommend you trying soy milk too. It's pretty good, especially the chocolate kind. We even cook with regular soy milk because I would get so sick from it at times. My husband has even learned to like soy milk over cow milk

I hope this helps! Have a good week.

~Amanda