Thread: Fibro vs. Lupus Pain???

Thanks

Default Fibro vs. Lupus Pain???

I have an interesting question. I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, but my dr didn't tell me much about it. I am almost constantly in pain, as I'm sure many of you guys are, and my dr put me on amitryptiline for the "fibro pain" but it has been 7 months and no help. Could it be lupus pain? I've always had this pain, well as long as I can remember, and giving it a name of lupus or fibro doesn't help the pain go away, so i guess it doesn't really matter. I just want to know if the pain could be managed in another way, or if fibro pain is just too hard to fight or if lupus pain is just too hard to fight, or if i'm just going to have to live with the pain or what. I can't get in to see the dr for a while, so that's why i'm coming to you guys. (Plus sometimes I think you know more than he does ) I am really just wondering if the only thing that will help is narcotics, because I'm in school and those won't work (and you can't take them if you are trying to have a baby in the near future). I can't be knocking myself out with pain meds everyday to control the pain. I'd have to just deal with it if that's my only option. I know that as winter sets in, my pain always gets worse thanks to the arthritis, but if I could control the pain at least moderately before winter pain sets in, I think it'd be much easier to control.

Okay enough rambling. I hope you guys could keep up with all my craziness. Have a great weekend and lots of well wishes on a healthy week next week!

~Amanda

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi amanda, Are you familiar with the pressure points of fms? there are several good web sites that explain these points. Yes, fms pain is excrutiating. I get a lot of pain in my chest and accross my shoulders and up my neck. The fms pain is like someone is holding a lit cigarrette to my body, and burning the hell out of me. I often feel like an ice pick is being stabbed into me. My lupus pain is different...it is more like an aching in my bones and joints, where as fms is in the small connective tissues not the bones or muscles. For pain, Tramadol is a good med for fms pain. It is not a narcotic and i could take them with no trouble working at the same time. You might want to ask your dr. for a script and try them. Good luck, i hope you find some relief very soon.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Hi Amanda,
    I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia secondary to lupus. I have been taking cymbalta for the burning neuropathic pain, with muscle tenderness and pain. I agree with mountaindreamer about trying tramadol as it helped me alot, they also have come out with a long acting tramadol that stays in your system over an extended period of time for better pain management.

Hang in there. Stretches also helps alot.

Dassar RN

Lupus, Fibromyalgia, Sjogrens

Thanks

Hey, I also think I developped fibromialgia pain the last several months. It was getting worse and worse. Let me tell you what helped me unexpectedly, and I pray that the pain doesn't return. A friend of mine has vitamin D defficiency from using too much sunscreen, she started braking bones and that is how it got discovered. I use sunscreen all the time too, because I am very sun sensitvive because of lupus. So I decided to take Vitamin D just in case. I also watched some TV commercial, the guy was saying that fibro and arthritis are due to Vit D defficiency, but it has to be Vit D3. I totally forgot about it, because I don't believe in such commercials, but when I was in the drug store I saw a Vit D3 bottle, I rememberd about the commercial and about my friend and decided to try it. Surprisingly to me only after 2 days after taking it, my fibro(at least I think it is fibro) pain went completely away. My joint pain is still here though, but it is so much tollerable without the other pain. I am going to ask my doctor if he could check my Vid D level. Are you cheking yours? I tryed Vit D before, didn't help me , but Vit D3 did. Has anyone tried too?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

thanks bandarosa, this is very interesting. I take calcium with vit d, but i have not heard of the benefits of vitd3....i will ask my pharmacist and try it. thanks again.
    Phyllis

share a smile today