Thread: TNF treatment

Thanks

Default TNF treatment

Hi guys,
    My rhuemy is talking about putting me on TNF treatment, in the form of regular injections. I dont really know a lot about this form of treatment. Please can anyone who is on or has had this treatment and willing to share their experiances please get back to me. Plus if anyone knows exactly what this type of treatment does I would be eternaly grateful.
    thanks,
    Carly

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Carly:

Since no one responded to your post, I gues no one has used a TNF blocker. Here is some information that I found about them. The most commonly prescribed TNF blocker is Enbrel.
    ENBREL is a type of protein called a tumor necrosis factor (TNF) blocker that blocks the action of a substance your body's immune system makes called TNF. People with an immune disease, such as rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, and psoriasis, have too much TNF in their bodies. ENBREL is used to reduce the amount of TNF in the body to normal levels, helping to treat your disease. But, in doing so, ENBREL can also lower the ability of your immune system to fight infections.
    Tumor Necrosis Factor (TNF) blockers. This class of DMARDs (Disease-Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drugs)is known as biologic response modifiers. TNF is a cytokine, or cell protein, that acts as an inflammatory agent in rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus and other rheumatic diseases. TNF blockers, or anti-TNF medications, target or block this cytokine and can help reduce pain, morning stiffness and tender or swollen joints -- usually within one or two weeks after treatment begins. There is evidence that TNF blockers may halt progression of disease.
    These medications often are taken with the immunosuppressant drug methotrexate. TNF blockers approved for treatment of these diseases are etanercept (Enbrel), infliximab (Remicade) and adalimumab (Humira). TNF blockers should not be used if you have an active infection.

I hope this has been helpful.
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie