Thread: please tell me what antibiotics CAN i take-kidney infection please help

Thanks

Default please tell me what antibiotics CAN i take-kidney infection please help

I have a kidney infection and so I went to the urgent care and we discussed what antibiotics are bad for lupus. he said sulfa because of possible alergy. I know dont have alergy to sulfa drugs though becasue I just finished a round two weeks ago for my swollen lymph node. I think it may be what has given me the worst inflamation ever though.

he also said the drugs in the cypro family are bad because they can rupture your tendons specifically the akeelies

so he gives me minocyline. I decide to google "lupus" and "minocycline" when I get home just to be safe and it says that it causes drug induced lupus.

I call the doctor and tell him to call in a new med and he gives me a sulfa.

I dont know what to do. I tried to make an appointment with a rheumy and they couldnt give me one until december. of course ill keep looking for a new one but in the mean time I am taking these sulfa drugs because i figure a bad flare up is better than an untreated infection but man I hurt and I am running out of pain pills

tomorrow I am going to call the only doctor I do trust and that is my neurologist. He actually takes time out of his day to answer questions on the phone and he single books his appointments every half hour

in the mean time if you could tell me some antibiotics that have worked for you so that maybe i could stear people in the right direction.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sulfa is definitely on our list of drugs that we should avoid. Not all lupus patients need to avoid sulfa antibiotics, but there is a very high percentage of adverse effects of these drugs on Lupus patients.
    There is a litany of anti-biotics on the market that you can take. The list is rather extensive, but here are some of the classes of anti-biotics:
    The Beta-Lactams
    Aminoglycosides
    Tetracyclines
    Macrolides, Lincosamides, Streptogramins
    Fluoroquinolones
    Polypeptides
    Rifampin
    Mupirocin
    Cycloserine
    Aminocyclitol
    Glycopeptides
    Oxazolidinones
    Lipopeptides

I think that your doctor was not paying attention when he ordered a sulfa antibiotic the second time. Perhaps you should call again to explain this to him and ask him for an anti biotic that is not sulfa based and does not cause lupus-like symptoms. I've had good luck with keflex (Cephalexin hydrochloride).

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have been on cypro twice in the last month for uti's and i am now on a mantianence dose of generic macrodanton 50 mg once a day for 6 months because these infections have caused 2 flares of both my dieases. and the doctor told me about the ruptured achillies tendon but said it was rare Bonita

Thanks

Hi i would not take them I was given doxycycline it was terrible only took 2 tablets and then had to call an ambulance, I could not move so much pain I had imflamation all over my body lumps out of my head. They did not know what was wrong with me my heart rate was 120 bpm, very fast. They injected morphine into my arm the pain eased for about 2 hours then I was screaming again could not move. I pleaded the doctor for steroids, in the end he gave me steroids a very high dose.

I was in hospital for 3 weeks could not even get out of the bed to go to the loo it was awful eventually the pain went and then got the rash but i looked like I was sun burnt all over my body, high fevers which made me very sick.

It took me about 7 months to get back to normal, I did not have a patient leaflet so I did not know that it could induce lupus and I did not have the internet. Only read it when I returned to work, it was a very frightnening experience. There are so many other antibiotics for kidney infections.

Take care

Thanks

You have a GOOD neurologist? One who is not "God"? Please share!!!!

I've already gone through a dozen or more. Each one is more full of himself than the last.
    Murphy was an optimist.

O'Toole's Commentary on Murphy's Law

Thanks

yeah if you live in vegas I will definitely share. dr richard lee. the last doctor in the world to single book every half hour. he is in it for the patent and not high volume like the others nowadays and he takes your suggestions into consideration.

I ended up going back and getting keflex. It gives me a slight head ache and I am still trying to shake this flare up. I cant because I am not diagnosed. ugh
    no treatment for me. I saw an internal med guy while I am waiting for the rheumy. they are all backed up as there is a shortage. I told the internist that I want tests on my heart and kidneys while we are waiting. so at least now I am under the supervision of someone.

Thanks

"single book every half hour" ? What does that mean?
    Murphy was an optimist.

O'Toole's Commentary on Murphy's Law

Thanks

how often they book appointments. when finding a doctor that could be one of the questions you ask is how often they book appointments. some doctors view their success in this world by how big their house is not how healthy their patients are. those are the ones who triple book their appointments every 15 min. those are the ones that make you feel rushed and unwelcomed to share all your concerns and when you leave the appointment you realize you didnt ask half the questions you wanted to. I think I just described 75% of the doctors out their.

Thanks

for the record and other peoples future reference on this topic it is not worth it dont take the sulfa med. my bouts used to be only one day here and one day there that is why I never really considered lupus. I just assumed I had fibromyalgia. I think the original sulfa meds I took for this lymph node was what put me on this 4 week long enflamation. my ana was only slightly possitive 6 weeks ago and now I think it would be alot more possitive today. I cant shake this thing its terrible.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfal View Post
    You have a GOOD neurologist? One who is not "God"? Please share!!!!

I've already gone through a dozen or more. Each one is more full of himself than the last.
    LOL!! sorry - I thought this was funny. My husband and I think its funny that the most psychologically screwed up physicians we've ever met have all been neurologists. I avoid them like the plague - whats even funnier is that my own doctors try to avoid sending their patients to them as well. I frequently get the comment "They're a little wierd"

I'm sure there are helpful neurologists out there, but I've never met one in my life.
    32 YO Wife, Mother and Advocate
    Lupus - Subclavian Bypass May of 2009. Ectopic Lentis, Scoliosis(not lupus related)
    Current medications: Aspirin, Plaquenil, multi vitamins, folic acid, Methotrexate, Tramadol PRN

You can find me on facebook at www.facebook.com/sororenotis
    Please tell me you are from here and who you are if you add me there.

I work full time and Leader for International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement
    http://www.iaamovement.org/