Thread: Rheumy & Opthamologist yesterday

Thanks

Default Rheumy & Opthamologist yesterday

Well i saw my rheumy and an opthamologist yesterday, thought i might as well kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak lol.

First i saw the opthamologist...the optometrist who saw me beforehand gave me a general eye exam then put the drops in that dialate your pupils...she said that i was reading 3 lines below 20/20 vision and i have excellent eyesight...i just laughed and said at least i have one body part that works LOL. Everything else was fine...

My rheumatologist told me he had been speaking to my hematologist (whats with all of the ologists lol) and he knew that i had been back in hospital etc. Anyway long story short he told me that the plaquenil was not strong enough by itself for me, and so that i am able to come off the prednisolone without my platelets dropping to 0 everytime, he would suggest starting on Imuran. Sooo today i have started that. Now i am on 400mg Plaquenil, 5mg prednisone and 25mg Imuran...with the goal being 200mg plaquenil and 100-150mg Imuran...and no prednisolone...He did say it could be up to 6 months before the pred could go though...

I was kind of disappointed, i thought that going in there yesterday i was going to get some good news at last, but no, just more drugs...But my rheumy is just so lovely...he told me to call him or email him anytime i wanted, and he would be more than happy to put me in contact with some other girls my age in Melbourne that have the same problems as i do if wanted...which he doesnt have to do!! If anyone ever wants to move to Australia, you can come and find Dr Gibson LOL, he is wonderful!!!

Anyway just thought i would give you all an update!
    *~* Monique *~*

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi monique,i know you are probably a little frightened about the Imuran, and i can certainly understand. When my rheumy first talked to me about methotrexate, i was so worried. But, don't worry, your dr. will keep a close watch on you and will make any necessary changes if necessary.I know that Oluwa is on Imuran, I know she will be happy to share her experience with you when she gets back. I was amazed at the difference that mtx made....i hope you have the same success with Imuran.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Monique -
    it sounds like you have a great rheumy too. I know you didn't get what you wanted out of the visit, but it sounds like you are taking steps toward where you want to be. Congrats!
    Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hay sounds like a good doc to me would you ask next time you vist if he died international visits over the internet???? lo
    thou it spunds like slow progress at least its progress in the right direction thinking of you hugs H xx

Thanks

Good thing you Rheumy is caring and offered you his e-mail for out of office contact. You should take him up on giving you the contacts so you can have some close buddies to help you through this also. And if had the $$$ I would go to Australia to visit you and now him Well hope the meds work quickly and you can be off the prednisone soon. Take care.
    Spanglishqueen AKA Brenda or "B"

Thanks

Red face hi monique

i have a good rheumi in sydney to so if you ever have to come to sydney his name is doctor liew he is at blacktown wonderful man so understanding and caring he has had me on plaqenil for 8months and prednisone since last november and mexotrexate for 4weeks i have experienced vomiting and cramps now taking maxolon just have to have regular bloodtests to check liver other than that doctor liew says it will take about 8 weeks before it starts to work properly wish you all the best be well hugs kim l