Thread: New here and wanted to say Hi and Thanks

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default New here and wanted to say Hi and Thanks

Hello everyone,
    I have been browsing over this site for the past week and I think it is a wonderful place for all who are affected by lupus. I was diagnosed with SLE three weeks ago after several years of symptoms. I get joint pains, fatigue and many labs have been elevated including anti-DNA antibodies of over 200. I have anticardiolipin antibodies and protein in my urine. I am waiting for appointments with the hematologist and nephrologist. I have 2 children, a 6 year old boy and a 6 month old baby girl. I also have 2 stepkids who are 12 and 14. I have a wonderful husband who has helped me so much. Today he took all of the kids to the YMCA where my son has a basketball game and after that they are going swimming, so that I can rest. I have been feeling really bad scince I was diagnosed and last night was especially hard. I was up 4 times throwing up. The past few days I've also been getting numbness all over my body. I've cried more the past few weeks than probably ever. I am currently not working, I stay home with my baby. I was a childcare teacher for 10 years and love working with children. I had been attending school before my daughter was born with hopes of becoming a kindergarten teacher, I now fear that teaching may not be a reality for me because of germs. I haven't started any meds yet because I am weaning my daughter from breastfeeding which isn't going so well, hopefully she will do good with Daddy today. I want to thank all of you guys for sharing your thoughts, feelings and fears. They have been helpful to me as I am sure they have been helpful to many others. My prayers are with you all.

Thanks

Welcome, PuetroRican-mom-of-2. You have come to a great place for support, understanding, and information. I am sorry that you are feeling so terrible and going through such a rough time. Your husband sounds wonderful - mine is very supportive too. I also have 2 children: a 3 yr old girl and a 7yr old boy. I'm still working through the mommy guilt of not having the energy to do things I used to do with my kids. I am trying to find other ways to be ther for them while their dad does the more active stuff with them.

I hope your doctors can give you some relief with medication once your baby is weaned. I also can relate to your dilema about pursuing teaching. I work with children part time, but am not sure how long I can continue to work. One of the worst things about this disease is giving up so many things you love. I'm in the process of finding out who I am all over again and feel like I go through intense times of grief about how my life has changed.

Just know that all of us at this site are here for you if you ever need to vent or have a question or just need some support. Take care

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I felt better today after resting most of the morning. We played Cranium (a board game) today as a family.

Have you ever had numbness? It started a few days ago in my back and my head (wierd huh?). I saw my rhematologist Thursday and he said that is wasn't typical for lupus and that he just hoped it went away. I do too.

It's so nice to know that there are people out there going through simular things that I can talk with. Thanks again