Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not sure what to believe

Thanks

Default Pretty Darned Close

Yeah, it sounds about the same. And I'm not the type to pay attention either. What got my attention was when I went completely blind for a few minutes. Not sure exactly how long it was. I kept expecting to be able to see again any...second...now...now...now...NOW...

Anyway, after that I began noticing that my vision would stay blurry for days and that I'd get that sunspot effect I think you were describing where without being exposed to a light source I was aware of, I'd suddenly realize that there was a black circle covering the upper right corner of my left eye - and it would stay that way for sometimes an hour.

It doesn't happen often. Which is good. And so far it hasn't happened while I was driving. I told the rheum. and regular dr. about it and they both said - Oh, must be an MS, here's a referral to a neurologist. And I thought - ok, MS instead of lupus, fine, one seems just as bad as the other. But the funny thing was (and I did laugh quite a bit about it) I set up an appointment with the neuro. and on that very morning - the only road into town washed out and has yet to be repaired. I've found other ways in to get to work, etc. but I somehow haven't gotten back to the neuro. During the time between then and now I came up with a butterfly rash on my face and the rheum. has confirmed again that he thinks I've got lupus.

I'll deal with it, whichever way it goes, but having both MS and lupus doesn't feel like something I could handle right now. Plus, I did some research on lupus and found a site that said sometimes in lupus patients the optical nerve can swell and cause vision disturbances. So, I've decided to put off the neuro for another year or so simply because I don't want to add ANOTHER doc onto the roster. I'm having a difficult enough time avoiding the two vampires I've already got after me.

Thanks

Yeah... I don't think I could blame you for not being able to handle that... But, I wonder, (for your sake as well as mine) since lupus can attack the brain, too, if that could possibly a symptom of that? Are you on medication for Lupus? I also wonder if that could be a side effect of meds...

How often do you have the actual BLIND spells? And have they become more frequent or have you noticed? Have you noticed any patterns as to WHEN it happens?
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Default Hi again

I've had 2 completely blind episodes, but one I can blame on a fire ant. I got bit by one of those suckers and went blind for a few seconds. That was about 2 years ago. The second spell was the one I described in the earlier.

At the time of that one I was taking celebrex as a compromise with my rheum. I didn't want him prescribing meds for any condition I wasn't absolutely sure I had - and he could physically prove to me that my joints were swollen. Of course, just after I started taking celebrex they pulled Vioxx off the shelves...

Annnnyway...I asked him if the blindness could be a side-effect of the medication and he laughed and said no. So that was one thing down. I was kind of freaked, though and went off the celebrex in favor of Tylenol. And I've had three or four episodes since then with the spots in my eyes and two particular cases where the blurry vision went on for more than a day. That does seem to be increasing to me, but I'm not absolutely sure. I do remember being 13 and having blurred vision for days and my mom told me not to worry about it - so I really haven't paid attention to it at all.