Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MTX Users...Methotrexate

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

So far so good for me on the Plaquenil.Im so looking forward to feeling less pain and show that doctor i was right.I feel nothing as yet,but im hoping i will.
    What about yoohoo?xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Since dosing with my 3 tiny tine pills...I yawn 24/7. I feel a slight change in pain..but still fatigues. Still early in the game as it has been only 3 weeks...

I am hoping and praying for you too Amanda....

Be well, keep well..enjoy the day.
    Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Why is MTX prescribed instead of prednisone? I see that many of you are taking MTX and not prednisone. I hate prednisone with a passion and try my best not to take it. I'm tapering down (not sure if I'm doing it right) and woke up with a slew of sores in my mouth. Between dryness from sjoggies and mouth sores, I'm looking for a liquid breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Anywho....blame it on my blondness or lupie brain fog, but I'm just not getting it.

Thanks

MTX is also supposed to be a prednisone, sparing drug...so maybe it should be added to your regime alone or in combination with a lesser dose of steroids.

I'd ask you Rheumba about it.

Are you tapering your steroids on your own (not sure I am doing it right)? If so, well, I don't really think that is a great idea as blood work is use to coincide with the tapering if you have been on it for a while. Adrenal gland atrophy.

Personally because of my family history of early heart disease I avoid steroids as much as possible. If needed...I am prescribed the short duration taper packs and I have never used more than 6 months of daily dosing at one time.

Love,
    O.
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi bonusmom,are you taking folic acid...it is supposed to help with mouth sores. I take mtx instead of prednisone because i hate what steroids do to me. Also, when my hands and ankles swell from the weight gain, the pain increases.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    Hi Oluwa,
    I'm only taking .6 cc of the MTX by injection. It seems to help with the joint pain and the fatigue quite a bit. I also notice that the rash on my face gets a bit better for a few days. I'm also taking one pill per day of Plaquenil (any larger dose and I'm stuck in the bathroom all day).
    Jeff makes sure that I take all of my vitamins every day - a multi, folic acid, calcium, glucosamine & condroitin, etc.
    I also take prevacid for the tummy and Allegra for the allergies.
    Good luck with it. I hope that it works for you.
    Marla
    I'm thinking about switching to prevacid or zegrid (I take nexium now and it sucks) I'm also considering switching to mtx
    32 YO Wife, Mother and Advocate
    Lupus - Subclavian Bypass May of 2009. Ectopic Lentis, Scoliosis(not lupus related)
    Current medications: Aspirin, Plaquenil, multi vitamins, folic acid, Methotrexate, Tramadol PRN

You can find me on facebook at www.facebook.com/sororenotis
    Please tell me you are from here and who you are if you add me there.

I work full time and Leader for International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement
    http://www.iaamovement.org/

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Mrs O

Il swap your 3 tiny pills for my 6 tiny pills?

love

me
    xxx
    **The next or $ raised WILL be the cure for LUPUS**

☺☻If YoU gOt OcD aNd YoU kNoW iT....wAsH yA hAnDs☺☻

..♪♫**.❤.**☆.。.*✿♪♫**.❤.**☆.。 .*✿

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I was just started on methotrexate 3 weeks ago. I have been on pred for almost 2 years at different doses and plaqu. for over a year and still have had a lot of flares and pain i am hoping this will be good for me but time will tell. Bonita

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi bonita, i hope you get some relief from the mtx. I presently take 1ml each week via injection. I do see a diffference in how i feel, my pain, and my energy level.....this gives me 3 or 4 decent days a week. However, i saw my nephrologist last week, and he wants to talk to my rheumy about reducing the dosage....he has some concerns for my kidneys. I have become reliant on the mtx, and i am not sure about reducing the dosage....i will let my rheumy help me make that call. Let me know if you have any questions about mtx, and welcome to our "yada heads" club.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

my rheumatologist doesn't like prednisone much - in my case, he won't even consider it because I'm diabetic and it plays heck with blood sugar. Despite the nasty side effects, he thinks methotrexate is a good option, especially for hip pain which is what boethers me the most. I've been on plaquenil since July and just started meth (about 10 minutes ago!). Interestingly, the doc told me that Plaquenil tends to work better on hand joints and less well on legs -- which might explain why my fingers haven't been too bad lately but I've had days where I can hardly walk.