Thread: Naturopathic Medicine & Lupus

Thanks

Default Naturopathic Medicine & Lupus

Hey Everyone,

I am curious as to whether any of you have tried seeing a naturopathic doctor and if it helped?

I have had the worst flare ups all summer and feel compounded by new meds and pain meds. I have had headaches,nauseau, pain all over - neck on down, numbness,tingling and shaky. My Rheaumy has finally done some further bloo d tests. I get the results back tommorrow.

I think I need to try something else. By all means, I am not going to do anything drastic like stop go to the rheumatologist or stop meds.

any input would be helpful,

melissa
    Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus SLE- Nephritis, Raynaud's syndrome, BAD eye sight, possible Sjogrens

MEDS: Plaquenil, Lisiniprol, Prednisone (tapering), Imuran, Prozac, Ambien

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Mellisa,

the only thing i have tried really was acupuncture at a chinese herbal place nearby where i live.It was expensive and unfortunately for me it didnt help.But it does work for others so just hang in there n wait for others to post here.I know some members have tried it and its worked. No harm in trying anything once really,cause who knows it may just help you.

love Amanda.xxxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 628 Posts

Hello Mellie,

You may want to read these articles-

This is the Lupus Foundation of America page on "alternative" medicine-

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/weba...250&zoneid=525

This is a link to a site that is mostly skeptical about naturopathic medicine-

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...turopathy.html

Hope this helps.

Rob

Thanks

There is a demonstrated link between vitamin d/mineral deficiency and autoimmune disease. If you haven't had your vitamin d levels checked, I would do that next. There is a very high chance that they are low.

Several people on the board have been prescribed very high-dose vitamin d by their doctors, in an effort to get their levels up as quickly as possible...but from what they've described, the side effects are terrible.

I take 4000iu of vitamin d daily with my omega 3 fatty acids. Vitamin d is a fat soluable vitamin and it encourages the absorbtion of other minerals like calcium and magnesium (these are the minerals that help our muscles contract and relax efficiently... imagine if they weren't...you would likely have pain!).

I have seen an acupunturist and done the chinese herbs and it did get me feeling slightly better, but more than anything, it made me aware of how I was eating, what made me feel good and what made me feel bad... I learned my triggers (wheat, dairy, sunlight, heat).

I am not a big believer in pharmaceuticals. I rarely hear people say that they are on something and it is working for them... at least not for more than a short time.

My personal belief is that is because we are not treating the cause of the disease, just treating symptoms. This may not be a popular sentiment on this board, but it is my opinion and seems to be the idea behind naturopathic medicine... don't just try to mask symptoms, get to the root of the problem.

I am not going to get into an argument about allopathy vs naturopathy, but I want to say one last thing... if you have been trying something for awhile and it is not working...why not try something completely different?

Blessings.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMama View Post

My personal belief is that is because we are not treating the cause of the disease, just treating symptoms. This may not be a popular sentiment on this board, but it is my opinion and seems to be the idea behind naturopathic medicine... don't just try to mask symptoms, get to the root of the problem.
    Hi CanadianMama,

There's one major problem with that line of thought-

You cannot treat the cause of a disease without first knowing what that cause is.
    I wish we could treat the cause rather than mask the symptoms. Unfortunately,
    we are not there yet.

Maybe someday.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 09-06-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Thanks

Default Thanks all for the input

So, I did have my first appointment with the naturopathic physician today and was satisfied. The doctor spent over two hours with me going over my medical history. She actually listened to my other symptoms. She actually set up a game plan. In the mean time she gave me this roll on joint gel that helped alleviate hand pain.

anyways thanks all for the feedback

melissa
    Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus SLE- Nephritis, Raynaud's syndrome, BAD eye sight, possible Sjogrens

MEDS: Plaquenil, Lisiniprol, Prednisone (tapering), Imuran, Prozac, Ambien