Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: swim and lupus

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer View Post
    i would be concerned about just jumping (excuse the pun) into a regimented swimming class. this just may be too much for you...it may take you longer to build up to that level. I have tried arthritis water classes, and i can not complete the hour long course, or i go into a flare and spend the rest of the day in bed.

Just listen very closely to your body, and do what it tells you.

Good luck, sounds like a wonderful challenge.
    Yes, very good advice.

Thanks

I am just checking on you to see how you are doing. Have you started swimming yet?????? I think the advice to listen to your body is key and do not overdo it or you could feel worse than when you started. Take it easy and rest after you finish. Keep up the great work and keep us updated on how you are and what is working for you and your body
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

Default Hi Danica01

Hi Danica01,

thanks for checking up on me.

I started the class this past Monday but I wasn't in the pool till Wednesday.
    It wasn't too bad at first. We did body stretches for a half hr before getting in the pool. As far as swimming goes, it was a little tiring. I would swim through a little more then half way, then walk the rest of the way because I got tired. Over all my first day wasn't too bad. Stretching seemed to help but the next day my hips and legs were hurting a little bit more then they had been in the last week. Guess that's what I just need to get used to...

I will keep you updated on my progress...

thanks again

Thanks

That is great! I am so happy they had you stretch before you started. More pain is actually a little normal right now. Whenever I walk on the treadmill my little legs will be so much more sore the next day. It does get better so make sure you hang in there but also don't over do it. I can not wait until a month from now and we can really see how you have progressed through the swimming
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

THUMBS UP to exercise on a regular basis even WITH lupus!! As a matter of fact its RECOMMENDED to do with this disease as well as ManY OTHERS. It keeps you fit,it keeps your joints moving and lubricated (lessens stiffness) keeps weight down(with a good diet as well) and it releases those indorphins!!! HMMMM,is that spelled right? Just LISTEN to your body and its limits, dont over do it!!!! Water exercises are GREAT!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Blog Entries
    Thanks

congrats on your successful first day of swim class. So glad you are stretching first, and walking whenever your body tells you to....good job,

please keep us posted....
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Can you use any stroke to swim those yards...?

If so, the back stroke is kinder to our aching body...Saysusie told me little circles...and wow, what a difference it made for me...

I have my arms straight out like a cross....and make circles that way..not rotate the whole arm up and over. Times I keep my legs straight, up and down alternating..or I kick with knees bending...

This doesn't pull on the neck...easy on the hips, shoulder and ankles for me...

And I use the short fins too..also a Saysusie recommendations...her and I are like fish...

Keep looking for your wellness,
    Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Default I braved the deep waters...

this past Wednesday I did my 25 lap swim (500 yrds). I wanted to give up so bad but I made it. I felt proud of myself. The next day though was the worst. My leg and hip pain went from bad to worse and I almost didn't want to get out of bed . I wanted to cry. Why does this disease take way so much? I just don't understand it. slowly I'm learning but it hurts my heart to know that I can't do nor enjoy the things I used to...

thanks got all of your support guys

hugs and kisses

Dee

Thanks

AWWWWW, Dee, sorry for your OOKINESS you feel. Its all an adjustment that you WILL get used to Its time to find NEW hobbies that arent as draining on you thats all. Its kind of FUN really to explore NEw things you thought you never would even consider before. Just do some OLD hobbies in NEW MODERATION, dont think you HAVE to give them up completely sweetie. GENTLE HUGSXXXXXXXXXXXX
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette